The Global Product Compliance team supports the legal and tax teams at Etsy, doing product work. Our work has a big impact on our sellers. For example, with our last project, we let sellers download their tax forms online, which was a big deal for sellers.
Our team is all-remote, so location does not matter for this role.
About the Job
* This is a Staff Software Engineer position on a Localization and Translation team. You will be a major code contributor on the team, and will ensure that we are shipping high quality work and following best practices.
* You will also support and mentor the other engineers on the team.
* The only hard requirement is experience in web development.
* You have a history of successfully leading work of significant complexity with deep impact on the business.
* Senior engineers at Etsy are expected to lift up the people around them -- you are able to support your team and create opportunities for them to grow.
* You contribute beyond the level of a single engineer by advocating for good engineering practices and mentoring other engineers on your team.
* We work in 2-week sprints. Each sprint has a few goals broken out into tasks.
* We're a collaborative team, so usually multiple engineers are working towards one goal, each grabbing a task.
* Engineers also review each other's pull requests and help other engineers who come into our slack channel asking for help.
* You will spend the first month getting familiar with the company and the team. You will:
* Become familiar with our tools
* Learn about our practices, such as Continuous Deployment and choosing boring technology
* Meet people, have 1-on-1s with both new engineers and senior engineers
* Ship code to production
First Six Months
* You will spend the first six months diving deep into GPC's work. You will:
* Grow your knowledge about our architecture
* Understand our members better by meeting our sellers and responding to a customer support email
* Own a chunk of work on a project
* Here's what you can expect to have accomplished in the first year:
* You were able to teach what you've learned to others
* You shipped features that make a lasting difference for our buyers and sellers, and suggested improvements for the future.
* You drove projects to completion and led projects with your teammates
* Our team values working well with other people.
* You will work with engineers, product managers, project managers, and designers, all with different needs.
* You must be able to understand everyone's needs and work with the group to build the product.
On the technology side
* Experience working with a relational database like MySQL
* Experience in web development
* Able to clearly explain tradeoffs in your work
* Well-versed in testing
* Full-stack experience
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you'd be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you're proud of, we'd love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.