At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing solutions. We offer cloud, Linux, middleware, storage, and virtualization technologies, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services. Red Hat is a rapidly growing company supporting more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies.
The Red Hat Engineering team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join us in Westford, MA. In this role, you will join the Continuous Productization team to work on automating, improving, and streamlining the release process of the Red Hat offerings. Collaborating with other continuous integration (CI) engineers and members from the development and quality engineering (QE) teams, you will be working on open source projects. You will work with the latest technologies available in the market today, including virtualization technologies like Red Hat OpenShift, Docker, and Kubernetes, change and configuration management technologies like Red Hat Ansible Automation, Jenkins, and Tekton, and a variety of language bindings like Java, Python, and Groovy.
Primary job responsibilities
* Work with various continuous integration (CI) and continuous delivery (CD) tools and assist with products and offerings like Jenkins, Red Hat Ansible Automation, Red Hat OpenShift, and containers
* Actively participate in the release orchestration for containers, taking part in community, infrastructure, and support
* Provide support for CI and CD across various projects, streams, etc.
* Write Groovy, Python, Ansible, and Shell scripts to automate and integrate with other projects and automate existing manual flows
* Develop appropriate metrics to demonstrate performance at improving operational efficiency
* Improve operations by conducting systems analysis; recommend changes in policies and procedures
* Improve current solutions and workflows, preferring appropriately simple, repeatable solutions over more complex and failure-prone ones
* Communicate and work effectively with all levels of associates, including senior management
* Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments, and clear code
* Recognize and adopt best practices in documentation, testing, security, operational support at scale, and efficient use of resources
* Graduate of computer science or software engineering, or equivalent work experience
* 5+ years of proven experience with Linux operating system, at least as a power user
* 5+ years of experience writing code either in Python, Groovy, or Bash
* Good written and verbal communication skills in English
* Problem-solving and troubleshooting skills, including the ability to perform root cause
* analysis for preventative analysis
* Willingness and ability to continuously learn and improve
* Technical understanding of processes
* Ability to work under minimal supervision on complex issues to deliver great results on schedule
* Ability to work on your own and as part of a team
The following are considered a plus:
* Jenkins declarative or scripted pipeline experience
* Experience maintaining or developing Jenkins plugins
* Demonstrated experience containerizing applications or workflows
* Experience with agile methodologies, including familiarity with scrum, backlog grooming, etc.
* Presentation and public speaking skills
* Previous contributions to an open source project or community
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.