Are you looking for an opportunity that will continue to challenge and develop your technical abilities throughout your career?
Do you want to work on a simulation development team that allows you to contribute to some of our country's most complicated defensive challenges?
Do you have a strong software engineering toolset and the drive to tackle tough technical problems?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team of talented developers and analysts.
We are seeking experienced, dedicated problem solvers who are passionate about exploring new problem areas, realizing cutting edge concepts, capabilities and algorithms, and who are accomplished software developers. The Engagement Control Group of the Air and Missile Defense Sector has a portfolio of programs that require talented, analytical software practitioners who can contribute to the development, integration, test and maintenance of multi-fidelity, dynamically interacting simulations. By designing and engineering these new algorithms, you will contribute to the defense of our Navy, our warfighters, and our country, as we strive to remain ahead of our adversary's abilities to attack with new capabilities and tactics.
As a Software Developer you will provide leadership and technical contributions to ...
* Teams implementing prototype algorithms and capabilities which advance the state of the possible of our Navy's defensive systems against increasingly complex threats.
* Teams developing software simulations that implement new techniques in signal processing, multi-sensor data fusion, and resource optimization.
* Teams developing new simulation capabilities and analytical tools.
* Teams developing user interfaces, visualizations, and network/web services.
* Field tests and experiments, including planning, execution, and analysis of results.
* Project documentation needs to program and project leads, sponsors, and technical workshops and conferences.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have ...
* BS degree or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or another technical major.
* At least 5 years of experience with strong object-oriented software design and development skills with programming proficiency in C .
* Significant experience developing software in a GNU/Linux environment.
* Significant experience with software revision control systems (e.g., Atlassian, Mercurial, Subversion) and issue tracking systems (e.g., JIRA).
* Significant experience working in a team setting, and collaborating on software design and implementation.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Previous technical involvement with a complex system or a Navy/DoD tactical system.
* Either an ability to get or currently hold a DoD security clearance.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have ...
* MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or another technical major.
* At least 7 years of experience with strong object-oriented software design and development skills with programming proficiency in C .
* Extensive knowledge of software development methodologies, best practices, and tools.
* Proficiency with Atlassian and JIRA.
* Lead a software team through a complete development cycle.
* Real-time signal processing or software development experience.
* Previous technical involvement with at least two Navy or DoD tactical systems.
* A Secret or higher security clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.