As a member of Tableau's VizQL Server team, you will work with a team of elite engineers whose mission is to ensure all customers have a delightful experience with the performance and reliability of their Online-hosted Tableau sites. We are passionate about monitoring our code in production, quickly detecting and resolving customer issues, as well as improving performance, resource utilization and scalability so our products meet the needs of our ever-growing cloud-based analytics community. Your work will directly improve the experience and value of Tableau's brand as you solve customers' issues to ensure they enjoy a fluid experience as they explore and understand their data.
Some of the things you'll be doing include…
* Monitoring the health, performance, and reliability of the main service that backs Tableau's analytics functionality, detecting issues quickly so that customer impact is minimized.
* Analyzing production behavior on a daily basis to identify recurring patterns of issues and opportunities to improve both our services and our monitoring systems.
* Using your top notch troubleshooting skills to diagnose issues in technically challenging code using centralized logs, post-mortem debugging, diagnostic tools and other techniques.
* Working with technical support to investigate and resolve customer issues related to performance, scalability, response time, threading, and resource usage.
* Conducting post mortems to understand the root cause of production incidents and identify improvements throughout our service development lifecycle to prevent similar problems.
* Collaborating with a world-class engineering team to implement features that detect and remediate recurring patterns of customer issues quickly.
Who you are…
* Experienced. You have 5+ years of experience monitoring live-site performance and troubleshooting live-site issues, including complex issues involving multithreading and concurrency. You have experience with industry standard tools and best practices for monitoring, deploying, scaling, and load balancing of web sites and services within a large-scale, fault-tolerant distributed system. You have experience with both Linux and Windows server platforms.
* Technical. You are skilled with Java or Python and familiar with C++. You have experience deploying software via CI/CD pipelines to cloud-hosted environments, ideally AWS. Kubernetes experience is a plus.
* Problem Solver. You use a scientific approach to analyze systems, find bottlenecks and leverage best practices to understand and solve performance and scalability issues.
* Strong Communicator. You can distill complex technical information down to the key elements and communicate the details effectively while working across teams and with people from various disciplines.
* Passionate. You have a passion for solving problems and improving systems. You do great work even when no one is watching. The drive to deliver is just a part of you.
* Relentlessly High Standards. You understand what it takes to solve problems in a complex system of interacting components. Your passion for quality and deep understanding of engineering and service-hosting best practices inspires others to continuously improve the work we do and the products we deliver to our customers.
* A True Team Player. You enjoy collaborating, learning from and teaching others so we can all become better engineers. You assume good intent in others, and actively do your part to make a positive work environment.
* You are a Recruiter! Tableau hires company builders and, in this role, you will be asked to be on the constant lookout for the best talent to bring onboard to help us continue to build one of the best companies in the world!
Tableau Software is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Tableau Software is a company on a mission. We help people see and understand their data. After a highly successful IPO in 2013, Tableau has become a market-defining company in the business intelligence industry. Our culture is casual and high-energy. We are passionate about our product and our mission and we are loyal to each other and our company. We value work/life balance, efficiency, simplicity, freakishly friendly customer service, and making a difference in the world!
Let your dream job find you.
Sign up to start matching with top companies. It’s fast and free.