Exelixis is growing and the IT Infrastructure needs to grow and evolve to continue to enable the business. We are looking for a Senior Network Engineer to own the existing network and security infrastructure but also have the determination and experience to set the standards in this area in the coming months and years.
The role will initially be focused on 60% Networking, 30% Security, and 10% System. Depending on the business priorities and the skillset of the candidate, the percentage may shift.
Willingness to communicate ideas openly and collaborate with other team members and business owners while also taking ownership of tasks is a necessity. When possible, we try to expose team members to different technologies. Help the team with your versatile skill set and we will add to it while you are at Exelixis. Candidates who continuously look for improvements but also understand that they do not happen overnight will thrive in this position. If this sounds like a great opportunity for you, we would love to talk to you.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Architect, implement, and manage all things pertaining to the network and security infrastructure (firewalls; routers; switches; wireless controllers and access points; load balancers; VPN concentrators; and VoIP system) for the LAN, WAN and Cloud-based network
* Manage Data and Telecom connections
* Administer Cisco Unified Messaging
* Manage and administer security-related applications and tools
* Work closely with internal and external engineers to gather requirements to incorporate them into the design and implementation of systems.
* Partner and coordinate with VARs and outsourcing vendors to design, implement, and support current and new infrastructure systems and applications.
* Manage contracts, renewals, and purchasing of hardware and software as necessary.
* Document infrastructure and work instructions for systems and applications
* Produce metrics (KPI) regularly on the health of the infrastructure.
* Follow industry and Exelixis best practices and procedures in a SOX and an FDA regulated environment.
* Mentor and cross train team members.
* Work off hours and weekends as required
* Travel to datacenter located in Sunnyvale, CA as required.
* 24/7/365 on-call availability for emergency escalations.
* BS/BA degree in related discipline; or,
* Equivalent combination of education and experience
* Cisco CCNA and CCNP certifications
* 7+ years of experience in network administration in a highly available and production environment
* Technical lead experience is preferred.
* Experience working in a SOX and FDA regulated environment is a plus
* 7+ years of experience managing Cisco hardware (routers, switches, and wireless controller)
* 4+ years of experience administering Palo Alto Networks next-generation firewalls
* 4+ years of experience administering a corporate wireless network, preferably Cisco or Aruba
* Experience assessing, designing, and implement network and security solutions for corporate and Cloud-based network.
* Experience implementing redundant LAN and WAN connectivity
* Experience extending the corporate network into the public Cloud; e.g., AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud
* Experience with logging analysis products such as Splunk or Solarwinds LEM
* Experience with implementing and managing network monitoring/management systems like Cisco Prime
* Strong ability to interface with internal customers and technical staff. Strong customer-facing skills (oral, written and verbal skills); ability to define and articulate complex process flows.
* Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and completes them under time constraints.
* Ability to work with minimal guidance, to adapt to frequent priority changes, and response to ad-hoc requests
* Works on problems of extremely diverse scope and complexity where analysis of data may require evaluation of identifiable factors.
* Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
* Develops relationships with senior internal and external personnel in area of expertise.
* Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways and/or using a combination of applied company procedures.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.