Are you a mission driven individual who is looking for a meaningful career? This isn't your average mission. Join Alion and make a difference by helping to create and maintain modeling and simulation training services and applications for our US Navy Fleet
The Senior Network Engineer provides network engineering and architecture support to a dedicated enterprise Navy training network. Responsible for project leadership, design, development, documentation, testing, and implementation of networking technologies, capabilities, and solutions that are integrated into a globally distributed enterprise network. In this position you will be a member of a network engineering and operations team supporting an enterprise Navy training network distributed globally to 50 sites and 120 ships.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The engineer will be responsible for assigned project tasking for the research, design, and implementation of network solutions into the architecture of an enterprise network and leading project teams in successful completion of the tasking. In conjunction with other Engineering divisions, he/she will support the full lifecycle of network engineering solutions for connectivity between and among shore sites and ships.
The engineer shall develop supporting documentation on network architectures and capabilities including requirements documentation, architecture drawings, information assurance documentation, test plans/results, configuration change documentation, implementation procedures, and operational validation procedures. The design will require extensive collaboration with DoD commands and agencies and extensive knowledge of security technical guides and best practices in order to maintain and enhance the information assurance posture of the enterprise network.
H/she will develop and submit Bill of Materials (BOMS) for hardware, software, and other resources required for development and implementation. The engineer will develop architectural and technical briefs on the design, capabilities, and functional operation of networking technologies and projects for peer-review with Network Engineering and other divisions. Transition and implementation plans will be developed which provides a plan of action and milestone schedule for successful completion of projects. These plans will account for all aspects of the solution including a demonstrated understanding of all customer data transport requirements, required network equipment and cabling, service interruptions, risk mitigations, and effects on information assurance and security posture.
The engineer will support the implementation and execution of the installation and transition plan including physical installations and network configurations at local and remote CONUS and OCONUS sites and ships. Additional duties include support for additional network engineering tasks as directed, development of network engineering equipment lists and Bill of Materials, documentation of existing network topology and architecture, providing briefings to government and contractor representatives on network engineering tasks. This position will report to the Network Division Manager and Network Division Lead and Network Architect. This position will have project lead responsibilities and include management responsibility over additional junior team members.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems or related discipline, Plus 5 or more years of demonstrated experience in network operations and support. In some cases, educational requirements may be adjusted for more than 9 years applicable work experience. Work experience may be adjusted for highly specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience.
* Must have a current Security + to begin employment
* Must have a current CCNA or higher to begin employment
* Candidates who do not currently have the one or both certifications may still be considered and will either need to obtain the certification prior to employment OR for the right candidate, within 90 days from start of employment
* Candidates with both certifications highly preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Experience in leading successful engineering, development, and deployment of network designs and architectures.
* Expert knowledge of LAN and WAN networking design, equipment, and transport topologies including GRE, Fiber Optics, VLANs, Ether channel, and IPv4 subneting
* In-depth knowledge of Cisco Internetworking with a heavy emphasis on switching (VTP, VLANs, 802.1q, IGMP, etc..) and routing (OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, VRF, PIM, multicast, MPLS, etc.) and Cisco IOS.
* In-depth knowledge of IP networking fundamentals including OSI model, frame and packet structure.
* Experience interfacing and presenting briefs to senior management, government, and military leadership.
* Experience with Department of Defense Security Technical Implementation Guidelines
* Mastery in ability to design, develop, document, test, and field networking capabilities incorporating security, high availability, flexibility, and remote administration
* Experience with ISNS, ADNS, and CANES afloat and fleet NOC networks and/or other DoD Enterprise networks
* Strong ability to visualize overall view of systems and conceptualize and document technical solutions.
* Strong technical network troubleshooting skills with the ability to troubleshoot technical issues within multiple systems and networks at the protocol/packet level using sniffers, protocol analyzers, netflow, etc.
* Experience in network security and its tools including but not limited to NAC, 802,1x, port-security, firewalls, IDS/IPS.
* Experience writing technology briefs, white papers, test plans, and presentations
* Experience with NSA Type 1 KG cryptographic devices.
* Familiarity with network and performance monitoring tools (Solarwinds, Cisco SLA, What's Up Gold, PRTG).
* Familiarity with Cisco VoIP, including PoE switches and Call Manager. Server/host based networking experience (MS Windows, UNIX, Citrix etc.).
* Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills
* Must be willing to travel CONUS and OCONUS.
* Must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret Clearance
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. Alion will provide a reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans who need assistance to apply. Please visit the Alion Careers site for more information
U.S. Citizenship Required.