The Senior Network Engineer will be part of Network Engineering and Operations team that provides efficient, creative, and expert network engineering approaches for our NYT IT Infrastructure and Cloud Services. The individual in this position will bring expertise to continually improve the NYT network infrastructure design, to engineer, and to implement new and innovative solutions to address continually evolving needs.
This role will focus on Network Security and developing automation workflows, as well as engineering reliability, performance, and monitoring. In addition, configuring and maintaining existing network components, implement network upgrades, handling incidents, change requests, and utilizing network management tools to monitor & report on the reliability of the network.
Responsibilities will include:
* Responsible for supporting and optimizing a large scale, complex, high performance network, across our global footprint
* Independently research and provide both business and technical solutions based on and related to customer needs and specifications and deploy them into our production infrastructure.
* Monitor, test, analyze and evaluate the existing network environment and optimize it based on resiliency, technological advancements and cost.
* Provide network engineering and design in support of enterprise network devices and services. Design and provide support of Routers, Switches, Security Solutions, VPNs, L4-7 Load Balancers, SD-WAN and Network Management Solutions across LAN/WAN
* Drive quality into the metrics we report, including measurement of issues, network capacity, vendor equipment/failures analysis and network performance, as well as continual assessment of the quality and effectiveness of network monitoring and alerting.
* Provide lead support as an escalation for lower support groups; Provide guidance and direction to lower level engineers and engage external vendor support as required.
* Responsible for documenting system maintenance, enhancements and performance for effective network operations and management
* You will be heavily involved in developing automation based upon analyzing and identifying significant opportunities where automation can tackle volume, systemic or critical operational issues.
* Be part of an on-call rotation to monitor, analyze and resolve critical networking issues and incidents, including on an emergency basis
* Responsible for day-to-day implementations and operational issues.
* Be creative and take part in PoC of new products.
* Occasional travel in support of implementations & operation is required.
The Senior Network Engineer will need to have the following skills:
* Experience Required: Typically 5-7 + plus years
* Solid experience with scaling automation networks and tools
* Solid experience with scripting languages
* Solid experience with Linux command line environments
* Solid experience with routing and switching technologies within large enterprise networks
* Solid experience with WiFi technologies- such as Aruba/Clearpass
* Solid experience with Firewall NexGen Technologies- Fortinet and/or SRX, Cisco
* Good understanding of the TCP/IP protocol suite
* Understanding of tunneling technologies
* Comfort with Juniper Routers and Switches - EX. QFX & MX Series
* Knowledge of load balancing technologies - F5 and/or Citrix Netscaler
* In-Depth experience with routing protocols BGP, OSPF, IGMP, PIM & RSTP/MSTP
* Ability to systematically troubleshoot issues
* Ability to find elegant solutions to unique problems
* Ability to precisely document design and plan implementations
* Detail oriented work ethic
* Relevant certifications are a plus
* Ability to work well in a team-oriented environment
* Ability to take charge of a situation and act on own initiative
This individual must thrive in a highly dynamic environment, take accountability for individual results, be hungry to learn and enjoy pushing the limits of his/her comfort zone, while working together with the support of the rest of the Network Infrastructure team.
Benefits and Perks:
* Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
* We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
* We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
* We offer a competitive parental leave.
* We are committed to career development and ongoing learning supported by a formal mentoring program as well as $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
* Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.