Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science-from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Network Services' purview is to provide data communications that are highly available and robust in order to facilitate and support BNL research in the physical, biomedical and environmental sciences as well as in energy technologies and national security. Working closely with our users and other IT organizations, we provide reliable, fast and secure solutions that meet the needs of the many disciplines at the Laboratory. Network Services also provides the foundation underlying the critical services within the BNL campus including phone service, security, safety and monitoring.
The Information Technology Division has an opening for a Senior Network Engineer. This position requires the expertise level in various disciplines within IT Networking. The candidate will provide support in all aspects of Network infrastructure consisting of LAN/WAN, HW & SW, routers, switches, firewalls, management systems, and monitoring systems. This individual will provide diagnoses, resolution, and documentation in all aspects of supporting, implementing and managing an enterprise network environment. Resolve hardware and software network problems in a timely and accurate manner. Monitor the LAN/WAN devices including traffic and utilization trends. Document and audit cabling configurations. Design, specify, and document the LAN/WAN infrastructure in consultation with the IS Organization and according to user needs. Survey performance needs and goals of LAN users. Make recommendations to enhance operations and availability.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Manage network equipment such as Routers, Switches, Firewalls, and Access Points.
* Design, Configuration, Implementation, and Support of all network components.
* Provide troubleshooting and diagnostic support.
* Analysis of complex network problems and coordination of resolutions.
* Participate in Day-to-Day Network Operations
* Ensures that the performance and availability of the network infrastructure is maintained.
* Maintain technical documentation of the network environment.
* On-Call for after-hours and weekend support.
* Assists in product evaluation to include network tools, hardware and software.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* BA/BS Degree or equivalent experience, preferably in Computer Science or related discipline.
Minimum of 8 years experience in the installation, operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of multi-vendor, multi-protocol networks.
* Minimum CCNA,JNCIA, or Equivalent.
Expertise on network equipment such Arista, Juniper, and Cisco.
* Expertise in LAN/WAN technologies and protocols, such as QoS, Spanning-Tree, BGP, and OSPF.
* Expertise in TCP/IP and the OSI Model.
* Experience with Firewall, VPN and Remote Access Technologies
* Experience with Wireless technologies such as Aruba.
* Familiarity with network management tools such as Spectrum and Cacti.
* Expertise level knowledge designing and implementation of large complex networks.
* Manage projects with minimal supervision from start to finish.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Must be willing to be "on-call" for after-hours support as needed.
* Must be willing to work extended hours and critical Holidays.
* Understand, adhere to, and promote the environmental, health & safety policies of the Lab.
* Valid state driver's license
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* VoIP experience
* Familiarity with programming languages such as Ansible, Python, PHP, or MySQL.
* Network Certifications such as CCNP, JNCIP-ENT or equivalent
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements
Lifting of 30 pounds
climb a 6' ladder
drivers' license, use of private car.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
* Medical Plans
* Dental Plans
* Life Insurance
* 401(k) Plan
* Retirement Plan
* Paid Parental Leave
* Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
* VEVRAA Federal Contractor