Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Senior Microsoft Systems Engineer. You will design, implement and support enterprise Microsoft solutions, including one or more of the following: Skype, SharePoint, OneDrive, AD, and/or Exchange. This position is in the ITSD Division within the Computing Directorate, in support of the LivIT Program.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
* Recommend, justify, and implement improvements using an accepted change control methodology.
* Design and deliver creative solutions and resolve problems in a timely and proactive manner while collaborating within a diverse group.
* Exercise a high degree of responsibility for the processes, systems, and tools you create and manage.
* Design, implement, deploy, and maintain hardware server systems to support enterprise application.
* Ensure service levels are met and highest levels of service reliability are maintained.
* Drive scripting and automation to develop solutions to common problems and reduce operational overhead.
* Support critical systems off hours as needed and part of a regular 24/7 on-call rotation.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
* Manage multiple complex parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders, ensuring deadlines are met, while leveraging team member's skills.
* Develop tools and procedures to improve monitoring infrastructures services and automate various complex tasks.
* Lead and mentor junior administrators in best practices and procedures.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
* Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft enterprise services including one or more of the following: Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint or Skype for business.
* Broad experience architecting and administering highly redundant and fault tolerant enterprise Windows server environments including deployment, patching, monitoring, backup and repairing.
* Ability to work in a dynamic, technical team environment with competing priorities, tight deadlines and high pressure associated with operating a critical, complex system.
* Broad knowledge using PowerShell to administer Microsoft systems and services.
* Proficient written and verbal communication and strong interpersonal skills, ability to interact with all levels of management and staff as well as outside vendors, contractors, service providers and consultants.
* Ability to maintain a professional manner and remain calm under pressure.
* Ability to work off-hours and on-call and to respond to service alerts from our various monitoring systems (intermittently either as needed or as port of a rotation) and ability it secure and maintain a Q level security clearance.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
* Significant knowledge of and experience with PowerShell scripting and/or C# development .
* Advanced ability to provide innovative approaches and apply new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
* Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills to complex problems.
* Experience with Microsoft Identity Manager.
* Significant experience with Azure AD, Azure tenant, Office 365 or Exchange Online.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.