About us: It's a great time to be part of the SES team
We are the world's leading satellite operator with over 70 satellites in two different orbits, Geostationary Orbit (GEO) and Medium Earth Orbit (MEO). We provide a diverse range of customers with global video distribution and data connectivity services through two business units: SES Video and SES Networks. Our global team works collaboratively to make a significant, and often life-changing difference in the world. As part of our team, you will play an integral part in delivering on our vision. At SES, we connect and enable broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers, and enrich the lives of billions of people worldwide.
Senior Engineer, Network Infrastructure
United States - Manassas, Virginia
Role Description Summary
The Senior Network Infrastructure Engineer is a role in the SES Networks Operations Engineering group in which the candidate is responsible for the management and enhancement of the production Global Network Infrastructure. The engineer will gain a broad knowledge of the SES Networks product range as well as SES Networks global core infrastructure. The primary objective of this role is to ensure SES Networks' customers are provided the highest quality service throughout their lifecycle.
Primary Responsibilities / Key Result Areas
* Responsible for SES Networks Core infrastructure operation and enhancement.
* Develop procedures and training materials for the Network Operations Centre.
* Accountability for network training given to the Network Operations Centre.
* Interact with other operational groups and support coordination of projects.
* Work with various other engineering groups and provide feedback/feature request to improve customer products.
* Interact with vendors to resolve problems and bugs, perform hands-on testing and troubleshooting.
* Audit and assess network against customer service requirements and best practices.
* Adhere to delivery schedules and manage time accordingly.
* Proactively expand areas of knowledge and seek out new experience
* Development of internal technical support documentation and procedures.
* Develop and integrate tools and reporting for NOC.
* Formulate network management strategies.
* Occasional off hours maintenance work supporting different time-zones for critical network events.
* Provide Level 3 support for Network Operations Centre
* Provide training and support to Junior Engineers.
* Design solutions for new products to be integrated in the SES infrastructure and delivered to NOC/OPS group for operations and management.
* Support Network Services group in remote network design and deployment of core infrastructure for SES Global customer base. This includes but not limited to reviewing and provide recommendations, templates and procedures to customers to help them operate their networks efficiently.
* Ad-hoc tasks as assigned by line manager
* Dedication - displays a strong commitment to the success of SES Networks and inspires others to commit to the organisations goals; demonstrates commitment and works hard in order to achieve goals.
* Resilience - deals effectively with pressure; remains optimistic and persistent, even under difficult circumstances. Recovers quickly from setbacks. Adapts quickly to change.
* Self-starter - takes initiative without close supervision and proactively identifies ways to contribute to SES Networks' goals and missions. Shows the ability to find own motivation for achieving a task with the ability to continue to make progress under difficult circumstances.
* Accountability - holds self and others accountable for individual and team results. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Uses resources in an efficient way; recognizes when they are being consumed inappropriately and takes steps to ensure others are accountable. Shows honesty and truthfulness.
* Collaboration - establishes and maintains good working relationships; is co-operative and helps when needed while demonstrating an open-minded attitude. Shows an ability to work with others and relies on them to achieve common goals, shares information. Values the contribution of others.
* Performance Under Pressure - ability to deal with emotions in ways that keep oneself and others in good physical and emotional shape and that supports the accomplishment of business objectives.
* Problem Solving - ability to identify patterns or connections between situations that are not obviously related, and able to identify key or underlying issues in complex situations. It involves using past professional or technical training and experience, creativity, inductive reasoning.
* Work with Network Security on firewall changes and assessment of security stance.
* Work with Network Planning on capacity management and reporting.
* Agility - the extent to which the individual is able to navigate the various obstacles and challenges presented in a day in their area of expertise and push forward to achieve results.
* Customer Focus - determined to meet or exceed customer expectations. This includes being able to develop client relationships built on trust as well as delivering the appropriate solutions tailored to client needs.
Qualification & Experience
* BS degree in Engineering or Computer Science required
* Juniper certifications and experience, preferred e.g. JNCIE-SP or equivalent experience preferred.
* Cisco certifications CCIE, or equivalent experience preferred.
* Minimum of 10 years' experience in IP internetworking, preferably with 3 or more years in the satellite arena or a service provider environment
* Expert level TCP/IP and routing knowledge (BGP,OSPF,ISIS,BFD)
* 7+ years of experience in MPLS, Layer 2 / 3 VPNs, VPLS, Carrier Ethernet, CoS/QoS and IPsec
* 7+ years of experience of deployment experience of Quality of Service within a network.
* Familiarity with the MX, SRX, EX Juniper product lines.
* Experience in WAN Optimisation Products.
* Experience with Unix / Linux systems administration and creation shell scripts to automate tasks
* Network analysis and management experience using SNMP, NTP, DNS, SSH, etc.
* Expert level troubleshooting and debugging skills.
* Ability to design, plan, coordinate network maintenance and installation windows.
* Experience of integrating communication systems with multiple vendor components
* Experience with physical design best practices, e.g., rack installation, cabling and management
* Experience in a start-up environment and proven track record of working on complex projects with multiple reporting lines
* Experience of dealing directly with customers and understand how to manage expectations
* A working knowledge of Satellite Systems a bonus
What's in it for you?
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we offer you a truly global opportunity in an exciting industry and all the support you'll need for both your professional and personal development. But most of all, we offer a truly unique opportunity to play your part in making a difference for those who need it most. We strive to uphold honesty, transparency and courage in everything we do. We're proud to belong to the SES team and collaborate towards success.
Good to know
SES and its Affiliated Companies are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. In conformity with U.S. Government technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and/or other applicable U.S. law, regulation or other requirements imposed by the U.S. Government, certain positions may require U.S. Citizenship, status as a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. or a "protected individual" as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligibility to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
For more information on SES, click here.