Reports to the Senior Manager, Digital Signal Processing (DSP), develops products that deliver excellent audio experiences from the smallest podcast all the way to the largest concert venues, single conference call rooms all the way to the largest parliamentary session. Works cross-functionally to develop DSP system software, audio processing algorithms, and characterize system performance. Works with system architects, systems engineers, embedded software engineers, and hardware engineers to define, develop and productize audio solutions. Responsible for the overall audio quality of the product, which includes conducting thorough listening test evaluations. Work may include software development, audio CODEC modelling/deployment/testing, audio algorithm modelling/deploying/testing, minor digital communications algorithm modelling/deployment/testing, and working cross functionally to deliver audio products that make Shure the most trusted audio brand worldwide.
The ideal candidate will have a background in and tenacity for audio processing, experience in low latency real-time audio algorithm development, and a familiarity or experience with conferencing audio processing. Experience, familiarity, or enthusiasm for conferencing or A/V product design, digital audio codecs, digital audio networking, embedded linux, microphone arrays, spatial audio, machine learning, audio algorithm and/or system testing is also a plus.
Team location: Niles, IL or Colorado Springs, CO
* Design, simulate, develop and test real time audio signal processing algorithms for fixed- and floating- point DSPs and associated components (ADCs, DACs)
* Test, simulate, port, and document audio CODECs for fixed- and floating- point DSPs and/or FPGAs
* Participate in the selection of hardware components such as DSPs, ADCs, DACs, memory, etc.
* Design and prototype audio data compression algorithms for professional audio products
* Work as part of a cross-functional development team to design and implement cutting edge audio products and technologies on DSP or FPGA targets
* Simulate designs using Matlab/Simulink; conduct subjective listening validation tests
* Estimate, organize, and document tasks
* Analyze and assist in determining system software test standards and procedures
* Review the design and code developed by peer engineers
* Mentor less experienced engineers; ensure they modularize, estimate and prioritize work tasks efficiently
* Communicate technical topics both verbally and in written form
* Manage time efficiently to support project teams
* BS degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or Software Engineering with an emphasis in Digital Signal Processing.
* Minimum 5 years industry experience with audio real-time audio processing including, but not limited to, programming languages such as C, C++, or assembly or HDL/other digital hardware implementations.
* Minimum 5 years industry experience with software development tools such as Integrated Development Environments, compilers/linkers, and debugging tools (emulator, profiler, etc.), or equivalent digital hardware tools
* Minimum 4 years experience modeling DSP algorithms using Matlab/Simulink.
* Demonstrates skills as a seasoned, experienced professional in DSP processing architectures and modeling DSP algorithms using Matlab/Simulink and learns to use professional concepts and continues developing professional expertise.
* Understanding of both floating point and fixed point DSP development.
* Demonstrated competency with test and measurement equipment including oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, audio analyzers, and digital multi-meters.
* Familiarity with standard software development tools, such as Requirements Management, Bug Tracking, and Version Control
* Familiarity with audio industry standards and organizations (AES, ITU, IEEE, etc.).
Experience with any of the following considered a plus:
* Audio Processing for conferencing
* Microphone arrays
* Embedded Linux
* Designing and deploying DSP algorithms for FPGA targets
* Experience designing and implementing proprietary audio data compression codecs, and/or implementing and porting audio data compression algorithms (i.e., MP3, AAC, ADPCM, etc.).
* Deploying audio algorithms on iOS or Android platforms
* Machine Learning
* Fixed point audio development and debugging
* Adaptive Filtering
* Interfacing with remotely-located associates, management, or development teams
* Experience in studio recording, live sound reinforcement, and/or live performance