Scale Computing is looking for a curious, motivated software engineer to join our engineering team. We build complex, highly-available, distributed systems that are used by thousands of mission-critical businesses around the world. If you get excited combing through Linux kernel changelogs, discussing the finer points of leader election, or reading up on the latest developments in virtualization technology, you might enjoy solving problems with us.
Here are a few of the fun, complex projects you might get to take on:
* Dynamically allocate blocks across a pool of SSD / spinning disks to maximize performance * Implement Software-Defined Networking (SDN) for guest virtual machines * Lead root cause analysis to correct excessive VM exits under certain guest applications
Our Work Environment
Our team is small and collaborative, so you'll get to make an impact on the product, team, and company within your first few months. We've oriented our team toward learning and growing together. We do tech talks on Wednesdays. (As a recent example: Ever wondered how non-barriered memory operations synchronize across x86 cores? No? Just me?) We have a strong culture of building things right; "deadline" is not a word you'll hear. (Unless you're talking about consensus algorithms, of course.) Members of our team volunteer to cook family-style lunch for everyone a couple times a week, too! (Our sous vide game is strong.)
Here's a few videos about what it's like to work at Scale:
* You love coding, building new things, and solving hard technical problems * You're able to pick up new concepts and technologies quickly * You're excited about learning from talented teammates and sharing what you learn * Your code is clean, highly readable, and testable. Bonus if you have experience writing automated tests. * No, really, we test everything. Our test infrastructure is awesome.
We'd be really excited if you had some or all of the following characteristics:
* 3+ years industry experience * Not scared of C++ * Able to break down a complex system into parts and build each one * Remember how we test everything? You're excited about testing. * Understanding of the Linux operating system, networking, and toolset * Good verbal and written communication skills
And bonus points for these:
* You've worked at multiple layers of the stack, from drivers to OS to clusters * Understanding of Qemu/KVM internals * Experience with clustered and/or distributed systems - what is time anyway? * "Novel consistency model" makes you curious * Experience using git * At least a few of these letters and phrases make sense: SPDK, DPDK, NVMe/NVMeOF, RDMA, MQTT, iSCSI, consensus algorithms, Raft, orchestration, edge computing, Kubernetes
Perks and benefits:
* Flexible hours * Work from home opportunities * PTO * Full medical coverage * 401k * Life and disability insurance * Team-cooked meals 2 days a week
This is a full-time, permanent position based out of our San Francisco HQ. We do offer relocation. We are unable to provide work visa sponsorship at this time. No recruiters please.
Let your dream job find you.
Sign up to start matching with top companies. It’s fast and free.