McLean 2 (19052), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Associate, Data Scientist
Data is at the center of everything we do. As a startup, we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
As a Data Scientist at Capital One, you'll be part of a team that's leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in computing and machine learning technologies and operating across billions of customer records to unlock the big opportunities that help everyday people save money, time and agony in their financial lives.
The Card DS+ team is working continuously to innovate the way we handle data to transform every corner of our business through analytics, infrastructure, valuations, and strategy. We build human-centric experiences for moments that matter throughout the customer journey, and we do this by harnessing data, technology, and talent to propel our business forward. To accomplish this goal, we design, build, and maintain the appropriate solutions we use across Card to make smart decisions. We use the latest techniques in machine learning to build predictive models and utilize Big Data tools for cloud-based analysis. Through these techniques, we extract relevant insights from data to tackle a huge variety of business problems.
creditflow is a Python package which serves as the analytical foundation of the US credit card business. Users leverage our elegant python interface to score Capital One's models which predict potential value. With this information, our users build the business strategy which determines which customers get approved and what card terms they receive.
The creditflow team is a fun, diverse, cross-functional team of engineers, data scientists, and product managers. We're passionate about creating a positive, collaborative environment where we each grow our respective skill sets. This role involves joining our developer team which follows agile, software engineering, and DevOps best practices. Our work is a good mix of smaller tasks and larger, more involved projects. Our tech stack includes Python, Conda, AWS, Jenkins, and our Python packages include numba, dask, pytest, flake, scikit-learn, xgboost, and gurobi. You'll work both independently and as a pair on a wide variety of technical tasks including:
* Building new features, addressing bugs, and tackling tech debt
* Wrangling data
* Implementing machine learning models
* Supporting users and our platform
* Larger strategic initiatives like architecture changes
The Ideal Candidate is:
* Comfortable with Python and excited to learn more
* Familiar with machine learning and the mechanics of model building and is passionate about engineering too
* Comfortable working independently and in a team environment
* Bachelor's Degree plus 2 years of experience in data analytics, or Master's Degree, or PhD
* At least 1 year of experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis
* At least 1 year of experience with machine learning
* At least 1 year of experience with relational databases
* Master's Degree in "STEM" field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics), or PhD in "STEM" field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics)
* Experience working with AWS
* At least 2 years' experience in Python
* At least 2 years' experience with machine learning
* At least 2 years' experience with SQL
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.