Since our inception in 2009, Foursquare has been a leading force in changing how location information enriches our real-world and digital lives. As a location intelligence company, Foursquare is comprised of two well-known consumer apps, Foursquare and Swarm, as well as thriving media and enterprise products. Our B2B offerings include Places and Pilgrim SDK (for developers), Pinpoint and Attribution (for marketers), and Place Insights (for analysts, based on the world's largest foot traffic panel). With more than 200 people across our offices in New York, San Francisco, Chicago and in sales offices around the globe, we're dedicated to our trailblazing mission-enriching consumer experiences and informing business decisions with location intelligence.
About the Developer and Consumer Experiences Team:
The DCX team is responsible for the Foursquare technology that people outside of the company interact with to build and consume location in exciting and engaging ways. That spans from the Pilgrim SDK (the always on passive location detection engine) to our apps Foursquare and Swarm. We spend time building features that highlight the value of location for developers wanting to build their own apps, and users who should get a benefit from an app using their location information. The DCX team is a core piece of the Foursquare business and is a high impact team with big implications on the broader company success.
About the role
Join us and help bring our feature ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality. As our Senior Mobile Engineer - Android, you will be responsible for the following:
* Launch features that enable developers to build rich contextual location experiences in their apps.
* Create and execute technical vision for the Pilgrim SDK and the consumer apps, establishing process and tooling improvements to increase code quality
* Mentor and coach junior engineers
* Collaborate with product owners and product managers on roadmaps and OKRs.
* Work on cross-functional project teams with product managers, designers, Android engineers, and server engineers.
* Iterate on features in our first party apps: City Guide and Swarm.
* Interact with SDK partners to solve their needs and listen to their concerns.
The position is available in our Chicago engineering office.
* 4+ years of proven experience working on a team of Android engineers building and maintaining apps, or impressive Android apps that you've built personally
* Strong Java or Kotlin skill
* Some iOS experience or exposure to Swift is a plus
* Effective communication skills (both written and verbal)
* Desire to grow and improve engineering skills and Android knowledge
* Comfort and delight in a small, fast-paced startup environment
* Bachelors Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.