WHO IS SPR?
SPR is a digital technology consultancy that develops elegant solutions to transform the way people do business. We're 300+ strategists, developers, designers, architects, consultants, thinkers, and doers in Chicago and Milwaukee. We work with 160 clients in 10 unique industries - everything from corporate finance and global logistics to local breweries and Chicago startups.
We think about the end users and rigorously apply the latest technologies and frameworks to address our clients' needs. We enable companies to do more with data, engage with other people, build disruptive solutions, and operate productively. To do this, we hire smart technologists and sharp business leaders who are excellent communicators and have an interest in working on multiple projects across industries.
SPR offers a great environment for employees to learn, to build systems that make an impact, and to tackle exciting challenges. With our office's "Maker Space", you can explore your IoT side and develop fun projects with 3D printing and CNC machining. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, bonuses, generous vacation time, big fitness incentives, and medical/dental/vision insurance.
By joining the SPR team, you'll be using your brain, working hard and making an impact through your projects - and you'll be rewarded for it.
WHAT IS THE POSITION?
As a SDET Architect at SPR, you will create automated solutions and play a strategic role within the Test Engineering Practice and with our clients. You will be responsible for test automation development and must be able translate business requirements/user stories into automated tests. As an SDET, you will improve the quality of client and proprietary products through creation of test automation, planning, and manual testing. Our SDETs are a driving force behind the success of our projects. The successful candidate will offer experience in testing principles, knowledge of Agile/Scrum methodology, and be passionate about quality. S/he will have the technical acumen to understand applications, create automated tests, and understand continuous integration strategies. We're looking for a motivated self-starter who keeps an eye on trends and new technology in the industry and who is eager to tackle challenging troubleshooting and coding tasks.
* Develops and maintains Test Strategy, Plan and Approach for complex projects; ensures sign-offs and approvals via collaboration with external partners, and cross functional client teams
* Consults on the full range of available test techniques or methodologies to support complex or strategic direction
* Takes ownership of test case and data design for automation
* Independently writes comprehensive, easily maintainable automation test scripts
* Assists in defining coding standards and processes
* Designs and implements code repositories in version control systems
* Leads and conducts code reviews with peers
* Executes test automation scripts/suites and validates automation requirements/acceptance criteria are achieved
* Monitors automation test execution results & modifies/maintains code to keep the automation code base in working order
* Actively looks for ways to improve the stability of the automation code base & suggests items for improvement to leadership
* Develops and implements new report templates for use within the QA SDLC processes, including training automation and project team members
* Responsible for defect identification, documentation, and communication
* Clearly distinguishes between automation failures and valid defects
* Perform root cause analysis for testing related issues that were identified by both the individual and their peers
* Provides support to the project team in the use of tools (TFS, Jira, HPQC, etc.) and techniques to link manual and automated test coverage
* Understands the activities and responsibilities of a tester in different SDLC methodologies (Agile, iterative, waterfall, etc.).
* Has strong experience with multiple technical testing competencies (data validation via SQL, API/Web Services, back-end architecture), and their implementation within an automation strategy
* Identifies and designs solutions based on which technologies are applicable to a given testing project
* Works with Practice leadership to define coding structures, naming conventions and standards
* Develop estimates and work plans for all complexity of projects for the focused area of business
* Understands the importance of Story Points and provides testing-specific point/size estimates Sprint Planning Coaches other test analysts and team members in how to do estimation and task breakdown
* Provides all necessary status updates to sponsor-level executives and leads on projects, and Practice Lead for internal initiatives
* Tracks individual and team hours for budget-to-actual analysis
* Consistently raises project issues and risks with client and Practice leadership when budget-related problems occur
* Trains and mentors other test analysts in use of test techniques, tools, methodologies, Practice standards, and team members' areas for improvement. Identifies team members' quality, productivity, and timeliness issues and takes immediate corrective action.
* Thought Leadership: Independently keeps current with testing profession trends and shares knowledge by writing blog posts. Prepares case studies for completed projects. Conducts Lunch & Learns and other internal training sessions.
* Internal Initiatives: Actively represents the Testing Practice in corporate and service line initiatives across SPR. Takes interest in SPR's role in community outreach and social responsibility.
* Understands the various applications used to support the business, and guides the client in testing their end-to-end workflows and processes
* Provides business knowledge supporting the requirement review and the technical solutions throughout the project life cycle that drive quality deliverables
* Provides leadership in validation of key testable business requirements. Participates in review of deliverables produced during the project lifecycle to identify issues, defects and risks for complex and large-scale initiatives and provides sign off where applicable
* Mentors other team members in testing philosophy to validate key business requirements
* Works closely with project business clients to conduct complex workflow analysis and recommend business process improvements
* Provides informal training in automation best practices to personnel across client's project team and SPR's Test Engineering Practice
* Proactively identifies areas for improvement in team members and provides positive feedback on job performance Role model in attitude, work ethic and passion for the job
* Builds, cultivates, and maintains long term relationships
* Viewed as a trusted voice and mentor in software quality management within the client organization
* Makes clients and their needs a primary focus of one's actions. Responds to clients' needs in a manner that adds value and generates customer satisfaction
* Bachelor's in Computer Science degree
* 5+ years working in a QA/Testing role
* 4+ years of experience in Object Oriented Programming (C#, Java, etc.)
* Proven ability to create/architect Test Automation frameworks
* Demonstrated knowledge of architecting holistic automation solutions
* Experience in writing automated tests for testing webservices and endpoints (REST, SOAP, HTTP/S)
* Experience w/code repositories (IE: Git, SubVersion, VSTS, etc.)
* Experience with an automated testing tool (Selenium WebDriver preferred)
* Demonstrated knowledge of QA testing principles in an Agile environment
* Strong communication skills & ability to contribute innovative solutions
* Strong analytical & problem-solving skills
* Pro-active and self-starting individual
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
* Bachelor's Degree, preferably in Computer Science, Engineering or Science / Technology-based disciplines
* Contributions to an open source project
* Demonstrated ability to coach & mentor junior team members
* Ability to setup and configure continuous integration pipelines
* Experience working w/multiple projects and competing priorities
If this sounds like the kind of challenge you would be up for every day, we would love to hear from you.