This title is in a Civil Service competitive class that is subject to examination. Position is only open to candidates who have permanent NYC civil service status as Education Officer, or candidates who took the Education Officer civil service examination.
(Those who previously applied need not re-apply)
Position Summary: The Division of Specialized Instruction and Student Support (DSISS) is engaged in a multi-year, system-wide reform of special education and is building capacity to close the achievement gap and improve compliance on key special education indicators such as graduation rate, achievement, Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) and transition planning. The Reporting Specialist will support the reform around its data and evaluation by developing and implementing data designs, structures and models that will inform best practices and strategies to close the achievement gap for students with disabilities. Performs related work.
Reports to: Lead Reporting and Analytics Specialist
Key Relationships: The Reporting Specialist will work closely with the senior leadership of the Division's Data Team and with key members of other DOE offices, including the Division of Instructional and Information Technology (DIIT), the Office of School Support (OSS), the Division of Teaching and Learning (DTL), and the Office of Student Enrollment (OSE).
* Create and implement models and designs required to support the growing reporting needs of the division as they pertain to students with disabilities, e.g., the "Turning 5" process, timely evaluation, and the timely provision of related services, provisioning of program services.
* Develop and implement the design/structures required to support the informational needs of our customers.
* Evaluate the scope and complexity of projects and implement the necessary resources to ensure adherence to policies and procedures.
* Utilize software packages such as SAS - a software suite developed and used for advanced analytics business intelligence and data management, SPSS predictive analysis software, and STATA - a general purpose statistical software package to produce resource reports that identifies challenges of the work in progress and informs best practice.
* Report out to senior management on models and designs and escalates potential constraints as needed.
* Work in a collaborative fashion with other DOE offices such as DIIT, OSS, DTL and OSE to both obtain and supply data for management reports.
* Serve as the in-house reporting expert and authority on current data base and evaluation trends.
* Develop and maintain the appropriate documentation of the existing system functions, integration, and business logic.
* A master's degree from an accredited college in education, guidance, educational administration and supervision, or a related field; or
* A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and one of the following:
(A) one year of full-time satisfactory professional experience in educational program administration, career or occupational program administration; or
(B) one year of full-time satisfactory professional experience as a state certified or licensed teacher; or
* A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and five years of full-time satisfactory professional experience in educational program administration, career or occupational program administration; or
* A combination of education and/or experience which is equivalent to the requirements in "1," "2," and "3" above. However, all candidates must have at least an approved four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent.
* Experience in pulling data from various/diverse systems.
* Strong analytical skills with solid attention to detail.
* Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and deadlines.
* Comfortable navigating large quantities of data.
* Problem solver.
* Strong project management skills.
* Ability to thrive in and enjoy working in a team-oriented, results-driven high-pressure environment.
* Advanced Excel, Access and Visual Basics for Applications (VBA) skills.
* Familiar with SQL querying for data analysis
* Experience with business intelligence tools such as Microsoft Power Bi and/or Tableau.
* Internal candidates preferred.
(Internal candidates who are selected for this position and who currently hold comparable or less senior positions within the DOE will not make less than their current salary.)
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application.
Applications will be accepted through July 12, 2019 until 3:00 p.m.
NOTE: The filling of all positions is subject to budget availability and/or grant funding.
This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a program. Please indicate in your cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a program.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. Inquiries regarding compliance with this equal opportunity policy may be directed to: Office of Equal Opportunity, 65 Court Street, Room 1102, Brooklyn, New York 11201, or visit the OEO website at http://schools.nyc.gov/OEO