Close Date: Open Until Filled
Details about the SANDAG Employment Application and the Supplemental Question required for this position can be found below.
Office of Program Management
The Data, Analytics, and Modeling Department provides SANDAG member agencies, elected officials, other organizations, and the public with information and technical resources for regional planning, funding, and policymaking efforts. The department represents a broad range of expertise from land use and transportation modeling, programming and website development, applied social research, public safety, demographics, and economics. The information the department gathers, analyzes, produces, delivers, and maintains is essential to the success of SANDAG.
The newly formed Office of Program Management has been established to provide formalized program management support to ensure on-time delivery of key outputs supporting agency programs. Efforts in the next year include implementing policies and processes consistent with best practices and industry standards for providing formalized project management support, delivering an accurate, high-quality, and on time regional growth forecast and transportation scenarios supporting the 2021 Regional Plan, and expanding services into other program areas within the department.
Project Manager Role
In this new position, the Project Manager will coordinate the schedules of several complex interrelated projects to ensure on-time delivery of deliverables and outputs that support agency programs and efforts. In particular, this position works with leads in the department's regional economic, demographic, land use, and transportation modeling programs to develop and coordinate resources in key program and project areas, identify and resolve potential risks, and reallocate resources to meet project deadlines.
This position is ideal for an experienced project manager with expertise in working with technical teams on complex, analytical projects. We anticipate significant career development will occur while working on the types of duties and responsibilities described below and through mentoring and close collaboration with senior staff. Examples of primary responsibilities include:
* Manage technical projects in the areas of economic and demographic forecasting modeling, transportation modeling, and data management and integration efforts; expand services into other program areas within the department.
* Develop project plans to meet product specifications; identify and define deliverables, resources, and activities; establish and implement project goals and objectives; prepare time and cost estimates for the implementation of multiple large-scale technology projects.
* Prepare and maintain project-related information, including project schedules, status reports, issues, risks and deliverables; prepare budget, scope management, and project schedule; track performance.
* Coordinate project activities with inter-departmental and inter-agency project teams; lead meetings with project teams and develop project partnerships; ensure effective communication of goals, progress, and decisions.
* Manage and coordinate work plans for assigned project teams; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems; assign work activities and monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods, and procedures of staff and consultants.
* Evaluate, and monitor project workload; respond to changing political, economic, and customer demands; implement and manage change when necessary to meet project outputs.
* Work in close collaboration with department managers to create a long-term project plan; monitor and report on project progress, timelines, and milestones; communicate status of projects to stakeholders and upper management; develop and maintain project documentation, narratives and statistical program performance reports.
* Participate in project risk assessment and management; develop an overall approach in managing risks for projects; identify and recommend defensive and proactive actions to avoid risks or to minimize effects.
* Participate in project budget development, preparation and administration; prepare cost estimates and budget justifications; monitor and control expenditures.
* Coordinate the development of RFPs, RFQs, and other solicitation documents; participate in the selection of consultants and vendors; manage project consultants and ensure projects progress on schedule, within the approved budget, and at a consistently high level of quality; ensure projects are completed in adherence to funding agency requirements and within contractual agreements.
Experience and Qualifications
Numerous factors contribute to an individual's ability to be successful in any given role. For this position, we are searching for a candidate who has an aptitude for analytical thinking, problem solving, creativity, and is experienced in all aspects of the management and delivery of projects. Superior organizational capabilities, the ability to work collaboratively and build consensus, and highly-developed communication skills are important attributes for this position.
The minimum education, training, and experience qualifications include a bachelor's degree with major course work in public/ business administration, business management, or a related field, and five years of increasingly responsible, professional project management experience. An advanced degree and/or Project Management Professional (PMP) certificate is desirable.
The following information describes the specific types of career experiences that are most relevant to this position.
* Experience coordinating the efforts of technical professionals to collaborate and complete complex, analytical projects, including setting project expectations and monitoring performance; experience coordinating technical projects that involve data acquisition, data transformation, exploratory analysis, model development, and quality assurance and testing is highly preferred.
* Demonstrated application of the principles and practices of project management and administration including preparation of budgets and schedules, scopes of work, resource requirements and timelines, quality control and change control mechanisms, and risk assessments.
* Experience developing and implementing program and project plans based on product specifications, including change management and communication plans, in conjunction with management, stakeholders, and consultants.
* Experience monitoring, evaluating, and communicating progress against project plans and milestones; experience preparing summary and progress reports, and identifying and adequately addressing existing or potential problems.
* Demonstrated ability to conduct project risk assessments and incorporate risk factors into the planning and development process; experience researching and recommending actions to reduce or account for issues affecting projects.
* Demonstrated knowledge of organizational, business management, and strategic planning practices, as applied to the delivery of projects and services.
* Experience coordinating projects through consultants; experience with the development of RFPs, scopes of work, budgets, and schedules, consultant selection, and contract management; experience managing consultants to ensure that projects are completed on time, within budget, and at a high level of quality.
* Demonstrated ability to establish, maintain, and foster cooperative and collaborative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including senior staff, technical experts, vendors/consultants, project stakeholders, and upper management; ability to gain cooperation and consensus in the face of competing priorities.
* Ability to communicate technical information effectively, both orally and in writing, to a broad range of audiences; ability to prepare clear and concise administrative, technical, and informational reports; ability to prepare and deliver presentations and recommendations regarding various program elements to employees, upper management and other audiences.
* Demonstrated ability to research and analyze business issues, evaluate alternative solutions, develop sound conclusions, prepare recommendations, and keep management apprised of issues and concerns.
* Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage several concurrent projects at various stages of completion; ability to establish and maintain priorities and work independently.
* Demonstrated computer software proficiency using various programs from the Microsoft Office Suite, including Office 365, Microsoft Project, Visio, and other PC-based applications.
* The selected candidate can anticipate a driving record check upon hire, and approximately annually thereafter. The results of the check may determine whether the selected candidate will be permitted to drive for SANDAG business.
Salary and Benefits
SANDAG rewards the efforts of its employees with a comprehensive compensation package. Competitive salaries are supplemented with a flexible offering of health, financial security, and time-off benefits to meet the work and life needs of employees and their families.
This Project Manager position has an annual salary range of $71,689 to $114,703; the starting salary will depend on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Our benefits include traditional health, dental, and vision insurance as well as employee assistance, wellness, and work/life balance programs. Retirement and financial security benefits are provided through a pension plan and deferred compensation program. To support the need to rest and rejuvenate, SANDAG offers flexible work schedules and employees are provided with a bank of paid time off in addition to paid holidays.
How to Apply
We encourage all interested candidates to apply for this position by completing a SANDAG Employment Application form. Resumes, cover letters, and work samples may be submitted in addition to the Employment Application but are not a substitute for this document.
The Employment Application can be downloaded in PDF format from the SANDAG website. Alternatively, a copy can be requested by calling (619) 699-1900 or emailing email@example.com. Completed applications and related materials can be submitted via email, fax, regular mail, courier, or delivered by hand. See our Careers / How to Apply webpage for additional information.
This position is Open until Filled. The first review of applications for will begin on Friday, June 28, 2019.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), SANDAG will accommodate persons who require assistance in order to apply for a position at SANDAG. Applicants requiring an accommodation due to a disability during any stage of the recruitment and selection process, including requesting this document and related application materials in an alternative format, should make their needs known by contacting Human Resources at (619) 699-1900, (619) 699-1904 (TTY), fax (619) 699-6905, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To help us further evaluate the skills and experience of individuals interested in this position, applicants are asked to respond to the Supplemental Question below. The information can be up to 500 words and should be submitted with the Employment Application. This is considered a required component of the application; applications received without a response will be screened out of the selection process.
This position will work with highly skilled technical staff who work on projects involving data acquisition, data transformation, statistical model development, and analysis. Describe a project that demonstrates your experience managing a technical project that involved complex analytical or modeling efforts. What techniques did you implement in the project plan that helped ensure on-time delivery of deliverables and outputs.
Candidate Selection and Notification
Following the first review date for applications, all candidates will receive written confirmation that their application was received. The hiring manager will begin reviewing and evaluating applications within a few days of the first review date. The best qualified candidates will be invited to continue in the selection process. All candidates will receive written notification as to the final outcome of their application.
The SANDAG website contains a wealth of information about our various project and program areas. The Careers section of the site lists all of our current Job Openings as well as information on how to apply for positions and Frequently Asked Questions about our recruitment process.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, applicants hired by SANDAG must show acceptable proof of identity and evidence of authorization to work in the United States.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer
* CFRA Notice to Applicants [PDF, 49 KB]
* FMLA Notice to Applicants [PDF, 89 KB]
* SANDAG - EEO Policy Statement [PDF, 46 KB]
* SANDAG Employment Application [PDF, 1026 KB]
* SANDAG Job Announcement - Project Manager [PDF, 890 KB]