Purpose of Position
The primary role of this position is project management of system development and delivery to customers, new product development and sustaining efforts within the R D organization in partnership with the business units, including coordination of the global cross-functional team members' activities to meet the prescribed design requirements, schedule, and production readiness, and also serve as the primary project communication between large customer project managers, R D and other company departments. The Project Manager will assume responsibility and accountability for meeting product development requirements, fulfilling product definition, meeting product and project cost goals, quality objectives, customer delivery objectives and time-to-market objectives. The OTT HydroMet Englewood office primarily focuses on meteorological forecasting and alerting systems for the aviation market while applying these same skills to support all OTT HydroMet customers and data.
* Responsible for the development and maintenance of projects and programs that lead to product conception, definition, design, and release to manufacturing.
* Develops, maintains, and executes detailed project schedules, project plans and budgets.
* The Project Manager leads the development efforts by global team members.
* Responsible for either directly, or indirectly through delegation for all project management requirements assigned by the program manager, including platform and derivative projects. This includes but is not limited to:
* Plans and execute projects to meet Quality, Delivery, and Cost objectives
* Develops project plans following PMI based standards
* Manages change control processes on assigned projects
* Develops risk plans and sometimes proactively manages risk on assigned projects using the impact chain and other tools.
* Develops project schedules using standard project management practices like work breakdown structure, resourcing leveling, network diagrams, and scenario analysis.
* Lead projects with global design and development teams including internal OTT Englewood, OTT Round Rock and global contributors
* Compiles, records, and distributes required status reports, test results and other required documentation.
* Maintains development related documentation and the project history file.
* Manages stakeholder communication from individual contributor level to senior level management on project status, issues, risks, and opportunities.
* Manages projects in the DDS system.
* Organizes and actively participates in technical design reviews across software and other systems.
* Organizes and actively participates in project phase change reviews.
* Demonstrated knowledge of some of OTT HydroMet internal systems.
* Adheres to quality system requirements in the development of new products.
* Develops and implements team building activities or exercises as needed.
* Develops and fosters contacts with customers, technical experts, dealers, sales people, and regulatory agencies.
* Travels as necessary to aid in project facilitation.
* Demonstrates knowledge on how and when to apply DBS tools like VPM, 3P and standard work to a project.
* Receives supervision primarily on unique and unusual situations.
The Project Manager reports directly to the Director of Research and Development.
* Internal Relationships:
* Project Team Members
* Quality Assurance
* Senior Management Staff
* Program Managers
* Service Management
* Sales Management
* Vertical Marketing
* External Relationships:
* Software Vendors
* Contract Service Providers
* Quality System Auditors
* OEM Suppliers
Measures of Performance
* Completion of projects on schedule, within cost goals and quality expectations
* Facilitates effective communication to, within and from the team
* Assures project adherence to OTT HydroMet Quality System and the Danaher Development System
* Competent representation of projects during tollgate reviews
* BS in Engineering or the physical sciences
* Five or more years in a product development, engineering, or software development preferred, with at least three years of direct experience with product development
* Broad understanding of products and processes, including design, software development, and market use of products
* Possess one-year minimum experience in project management of product development projects from concept through commercialization
* PMP certification is desired if complementary to above experience
* Working knowledge of new product development methodologies
* Knowledge and use of word processors, spreadsheets, databases, project scheduling tools, etc.
* Ability to utilize commonly accepted project management tools to assist in the development of, and adherence to a project schedule
* Working knowledge of the project management body of knowledge (PIMBOK)
Personal Trait Profile
* Demonstrated leadership skills managing small to medium size projects
* Demonstrated facilitation skills on small and medium size projects
* Demonstrated management and conflict resolution skills
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Demonstrated organizational skills
* Knowledge of effective team-building approaches, and team dynamics
* Demonstrated ability to quickly acquire new knowledge and skills as required
* Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and management many tasks/projects simultaneously
* Demonstrated ability in analytical thinking across two or more disciplines
* Demonstrated ability to present complex or difficult messages clearly and persuasively to all of the stakeholder groups
Scope and Impact of Position Requirements
This position significantly impacts the delivery of new products for the company and new systems to customers. The Project Manager facilitates the timely investigation, development and release of software systems,w hich generate continuing revenues for the corporation, while providing our customers with accurate results to make mission critical decisions. The Project Manager is also responsible for assuring these development projects are performed according to OTT HydroMet's documented Quality System procedures, and within budgetary and quality expectations.