At Medium, words matter. We are building the best place for reading and writing on the internet-a place where today's smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas; a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers.
We are looking for a Principal Machine Learning Engineer, Recommendations that will work with a talented multi-functional team and focus on building an advanced recommendations engine that matches Medium's users with the content they enjoy. We are looking for experienced engineers that will help design, prototype and implement systems which enable users to discover personalized content.
At Medium, we are proud of our product, our team, and our culture. Medium's website and mobile apps are accessed by millions of users each day. Our mission is to move thinking forward by providing a place where individuals, along with publishers, can share stories and their perspectives. Behind this beautifully-crafted platform is our engineering team who works seamlessly together. From frontend to API, from data collection to product science, Medium engineers work multi-functionally with open communication and feedback.
What Will You Do?
* Be a domain expert of concepts and technologies related to our recommendations and personalization engine and apply that expertise to set technical direction and drive improvements across the entire company.
* Work on a large-scale recommendation system, consisting of deep learning training pipeline, serving infrastructure, and feature processing / storage.
* You'll work on a team to understand Medium's user's interests and build the systems and machine learning models that drive recommendations to users.
* You'll apply state-of-the art data mining and machine learning techniques to significantly increase our products recommendation relevance capabilities.
* Productize, iterate, ship and scale recommendation systems that power user-facing features used by millions of people daily.
* Collaborate with product scientists and other engineers across the company.
Who are you?
* • 10+ years of software engineering experience
* You're a Polyglot Engineer that has mastered several languages including any one or more of the following: Scala, Node.js, React.js, Go or Python.
* You have experience working on production machine learning systems at scale, data mining, search, ranking, recommendations, and/or natural language processing.
* You have hands-on experience with AWS and services like EC2, SQS, SNS, RDS, Cache etc.
* You have a BS in Computer Science / Software Engineering or similar field/discipline
Nice to have:
* Spark data pipeline and/or streaming experience