At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who is experienced at optimizing data platforms and building them from the ground up. The Principal Data Engineer will support developers, architects, analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout projects.
The candidate must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the needs of multiple teams, systems, and products simultaneously. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing and re-designing NM's data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
* Understand and align data architecture strategy to the business and technology strategy * Partner with architecture and development teams to evolve software products to exceed the needs and expectations of the consumer * Deliver technology products that yield immediate business value * Collaborate as part of a high-performing team and strengthen the NML tech community as a whole * Understand development costs and resourcing, compliance, security, and risk
* Eat, sleep, breathe data/databases (SQL (MySQL, etc.), NoSQL/BigData(Cassandra, etc.) * Better delivery than Dominos (architectural expertise, CI/CD experience, PjM skills) * More renown architecturally than Frank Lloyd Wright * Knows clouds (AWS) better than the sky * Plays well with others
What you'll do every day:
* Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL, NoSQL, and AWS technologies. * Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architectures * Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements. * Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs. * Assure NML's data compliance policies are strictly enforced throughout NML IPS data platforms. * Create data pipelines for the analytics and data scientist team members' and assist them in building and optimizing our products into an innovative industry leader. * Be a thought leader on strategies and best practices with respect to data architecture, data integration, and data quality * Keep abreast of industry trends & standards * Communicate effectively with technical & non-technical resources * Train and mentor teammates and other (x-dept) Data Engineers
What kind of person should you be?
* You pride yourself on your demonstrated secure data architecture and engineering skills * You have incredible and proven problem-solving, and analytical skills * You have the ability to quickly learn unfamiliar platforms and frameworks * You can handle the most stressful situations calmly * You often suggest ideas that can improve operations * You're self-motivated * Your ability to debug & triage complex problems is outstanding * You have the ability to assess maintainability & long-term impacts of design choices * Work well independently or as part of a team * Yourself. Integrity is paramount
What skills do you need?
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience * 8+ years of work experience with data architecture/engineering experience * 8+ years of demonstrated expertise with relational and non-relational database technology * A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets. * Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures, and data sets. "Big Data" experience preferred * Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement. * Familiar with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc. * Familiar with data pipeline and workflow management tools * Professional CSP Experience (AWS preferred) with services such as RDS, Glue, etc * OSWAP-minded, experienced with static and dynamic code analytical tools (Blackduck, etc) * Excellent written and verbal communications skills
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Req ID: 25650
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Education Experience: Bachelor's Required
Employment Experience: 9+ years
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: 07/15/2019
Let your dream job find you.
Sign up to start matching with top companies. It’s fast and free.