Principal AI Researcher, Autodesk AI Lab
Location: San Francisco, CA- United States
Job ID: 18WD29224
We have an opening in our newly formed Autodesk AI Lab based in San Francisco at Pier.9!
The work we do at Autodesk gets to touch nearly every person on the planet. By building tools for designing buildings, developing machines and even the latest movie we get to influence and empower some of the most creative people in the world to solve problems that matter. As part of that we also get to tap into and realize the potential of the rich streams of data from those worlds. Perhaps it's real-time sensor data from cars or 3D scans of buildings as they are being constructed. In other cases, it's about learning the language of 3D modeling from watching designers and then training the future intelligent design tools. Or, it's about automating and refining how things are physically made in the world, through advanced robotics, other times through controlling 3D printers or sophisticated milling machines.
This is the ideal environment for applying advanced Machine Learning techniques to: learn from an incredibly rich world of data; predict and synthesize solutions typically beyond human abilities; and to create new levels of automation in how things are physically built. Given the broad variety of AI problems faced by Autodesk we created a centralized facility to concentrate the research and engineering work behind these solutions … The Autodesk AI Lab. The Lab brings together AI Researchers, Software Engineers and specialists in various problem areas to create novel AI solutions in all the areas mentioned above and more. They work closely with experts in: geometric modeling, simulation systems, robotics, knowledge representation, sensing and computer vision, industrial manufacturing and construction techniques.
The AI Lab works with both product teams and customers to realize these AI solutions, getting access to massive data streams and seeing our AI models come to life in the field!
* Exploring and developing new Machine Learning models and techniques
* Constantly reviewing relevant Machine Learning literature to identify emerging methods or technologies and current best practices
* Introduces creative approaches to research topics and generates new approaches, perspectives and solutions to research topics
* Planning and designing research projects: specifying the problem and defining the project scope
* Connecting with academics and institutions to build relationships and collaborate
* Realizing solutions through prototypes
* Exploring new data sources and discovering techniques for best leveraging data
* Collecting and performing data analysis to validate and further new theories and discoveries
* Publishing and talking at conferences
* Working closely with product engineers to design, develop and incorporate AI solutions into new products
* Meeting with customers to understand how ML could be applied to their problems
* Thinking strategically about research directions
* Mentoring more junior researchers and engineers
* An MS or PhD in a field related to Machine Learning such as: Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or Physics
* Significant doctoral or post-doctoral research experience or 5 or greater years of work experience
* Truly excited by the pace of advancement in AI research and technology
* Understanding of fundamental CS algorithms and their scaling behaviors
* Solid background in statistical methods for Machine Learning: Bayesian methods, dimensional reduction, SVD, clustering, classification, forms of regression, etc
* Strong familiarity with Deep Learning techniques: various network architectures (CNNs, GANs, RNNs, Auto-Encoders, etc.); regularization; embeddings; loss-functions; optimization strategies; etc
* Familiarity with one or more typical deep learning frameworks: TensorFlow, Caffe, MxNet, TORCH, PaddlePaddle, etc
* Experience training and debugging networks
* Strong coding abilities in: Python and C/C
* Good communication skills and an awareness of how to communicate data and results effectively
* Comfortable working in newly forming ambiguous areas where learning and adaptability are key skills
* At times, the ability to lead and rally stakeholders and team members
* Reinforcement Learning and other areas of Control Theory
* Distributed Systems and High Performance Computing methods
* Geometric Shape Analysis
* Advanced simulation methods such as: FEA, CFD, Shape and Design Optimization, Photo-Realistic Rendering, etc
* Knowledge Representation (semantic models, graph databases, etc.)
With Autodesk software, you have the power to Make Anything. The future of making is here, bringing with it radical changes in the way things are designed, made, and used. It's disrupting every industry: architecture, engineering, and construction; manufacturing; and media and entertainment. With the right knowledge and tools, this disruption is your opportunity. Our software is used by everyone - from design professionals, engineers and architects to digital scientists, students and hobbyists. We constantly explore new ways to integrate all dimensions of diversity across our employees, customers, partners, and communities. Our ultimate goal is to expand opportunities for anyone to imagine, design, and make a better world.