Impact the discovery of new disease therapies at the Imaging Platform (a.k.a. Carpenter laboratory)
Join our vibrant, world-class, nonprofit biomedical research center, the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT!
About the program:
This new training program is an opportunity for biologists with strong interest and some experience in image analysis to develop deeper skills through many different individual projects as well as by supporting thousands of researchers around the world who are accomplishing great things with our lab's open-source software, CellProfiler, and our deep learning-based tools in development. Quantitative image analysis is an under-served need in the biological community, and our group has passion and experience in both creating the tools to make it easier to do and training researchers to do it well. The selected candidate will be trained over 2-3 years to develop their image analysis, software engineering, data science, and project management skills in concert; they will decide their own focus in skill development while advancing important biomedical projects around the globe. "Graduates" will be well-suited for positions providing or leading image analysis services for a central microscopy facility in academia or the biotech/pharma industry. Your work will have two main dimensions:
* Deep impact, on important biomedical research projects: Develop image analysis solutions, working in-depth with brilliant biomedical researchers to push forward the boundaries of what can be extracted from high-throughput imaging experiments. We collaborate with dozens of biomedical research laboratories to identify disease states, potential therapeutics, and gene functions from microscopy images.
* Broad impact, supporting the bioimage analysis community: Support thousands of biologists worldwide by answering questions about CellProfiler and other tools we create at our popular online forum. Deliver educational workshops (including travel if desired) on image analysis and open-source software tools.
* Ph.D. in biology, with strong knowledge of a variety of biological areas of research
* Significant experience with microscopy and some experience using image processing software on biological assays
* A personality that is helpful, professional, highly organized, and goal-oriented, efficiently juggling projects and competing demands while tracking time spent on each task and monitoring deliverables
* Able to clearly communicate with biology collaborators about project aims and results, and with software engineers on the team about image processing and software needs
Useful but not required: CellProfiler expertise, programming experience (e.g., Python), and experience with Linux environments, cloud computing clusters, and bioinformatics/statistics tools (e.g., R).
About us: Our lab's mission is to uncover biological knowledge by developing advanced methods to quantify and mine the rich information present in images. We love working as a team towards scientific goals: discovering the inner workings of biological systems and influencing patient treatment. We love making open-source software that impacts the world. We are conscientious and enjoy a professional, no-fuss environment, and are passionate about what we do while frowning on workaholism.
To apply: Please submit CV and letter describing interests
EOE / Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabilities
EEO is The Law - click here for more information
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled