Senior Software Engineer - Core Java
Vela is a leading independent provider of trading and market access technology for global multi-asset electronic trading. Our software enables clients to rapidly access global liquidity, markets, and data sources for superior execution. We help firms successfully differentiate and innovate in an ever-changing, increasingly-regulated and fiercely-competitive landscape, while also reducing total cost of ownership.
Vela's ticker plant, execution gateways, trading platform, and risk and analytics software deliver a unique, ultra-low latency technology stack to simplify and streamline electronic trading. We leverage the latest innovations in technology to deliver cutting-edge performance, features and reliability. Our modular stack provides access to a comprehensive set of trading, data and risk APIs and can be delivered as-a-Service from multiple co-location data centers globally.
With access to more than 250 venues, Vela provides global coverage across all major asset classes. Clients are supported by an award-winning team of technical and business experts available 24x7 from our multiple offices in the US, Europe, and Asia. Vela's clients include traders, market makers, brokers, banks, investment firms, exchanges, and other market participants.
Vela is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be part of a software development team that is responsible for the development of company flagship software products; including new product developments, feature enhancements, and maintenance updates as required. You will be helping build and improve our software and our client's user-experience.
You are already or will become a product and industry expert in key areas of the trading systems domain, and you will mentor other team members in the domain, products and software engineering processes.
You will work closely with business analysts or experts to development solutions, and with QA engineers to ensure the high standard of product quality our customers expect is maintained by the team.
You will have demonstrable experience in Agile Methodologies and be a proponent of techniques such as continuous integration and unit testing. You need to be goal-oriented, detailed, focused, thorough, and pragmatic. Communication is key in this role since you will work with both local and remote teams.
* Execute the software engineering process, adhering to high standards of quality
* Follow direction of team lead and work collaboratively in your team
* Participation in and feedback on software project estimation and project planning
* Participate in code and design reviews, execute appropriate unit testing and error reporting
* Become an expert in the domain, and Vela's products to which you are assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Experience RequiredEssential
* At least 5 years of experience in Java software development
* Experience in multi-threaded and message-based application development
* Passion for programming and software development
* Deep understanding of software engineering processes and techniques
* Experience in design / architecture of complex systems
* Knowledge of Capital Markets and/or Financial Services knowledge (Trading, Market Data, protocols)
* Experience in performance optimization
* Development experience in Linux/UNIX environment
* Demonstrable interpersonal and organizational skills
* Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
* Degree in Computer Science, Software, Computer or Electrical Engineering or other related discipline; or a proven track record of software development experience in a similar environment
* Practical knowledge and experience in Agile Development Processes
* Experience with Swing/Java FX and front-end development
* Experience with financial derivative modeling, pricing and risk management
* Expertise with Java concurrency models, low-level network programming, garbage collectors
* Ability to quickly analyze, learn and work with new complex systems
For any further information please get in touch at email@example.com
or call +1 646 713 2773.