Optical Systems EngineerFacebook Reality Labs | Redmond, WA
At Facebook, we're developing the future of Virtual and Augmented Reality (VR/AR). We are currently seeking innovative system leads with a desire for working inter-disciplinary to develop technology and solve complex problems. Your job will be to drive and work with groups that are doing research and development for e.g. sensors and display architectures, acting as the technical owner for one or more system platforms, aimed at pushing beyond the state of the art for all the core aspects of consumer VR/AR systems. This position requires someone who has expertise working with early technology paths; able to work collaboratively to manage system maturation, requirements, and respective risks; and focused on execution while providing clear and effective communication to remove barriers across the team.
* Drive development of system requirements to create new virtual and mixed reality experiences, and advance visual technologies necessary to create product architectures that can deliver to these requirements.
* Drive and support modeling and experimentation activities.
* Engage cross-functionally with other researchers, management, and engineers to develop concepts that advance the entire product pipeline (hardware, software, integration, infrastructure, and applications).
* Coordinate with our research, partnership, legal and incubation teams to both define and execute technology development with key partners, suppliers and academic institutions.
* Along with research and development leadership, communicate technology and product strategy to both internal and external stakeholders.
* Facilitate and work with teams to alleviate project bottlenecks.
* MS degree in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or equivalent.
* Combination of education and experience in the research, development, and integration of optical systems or components including, but not limited to, imaging and display systems.
* Experience in developing systems with multi-function/multi-disciplinary threads.
* Interpersonal communication experience - experience working cross-disciplinary and mentor best practices and other team members.
* Knowledge of optics including systems design and integration, imaging, illumination, radiometry and photometry, physical and geometric optics, statistics, and polarization.
* Experience in optical and sensor system design maturation, including requirement development from physical based modeling, and knowledge of fabrication/vendor processes.
* Experience in one or more system optimization and analysis tools, such as MATLAB, C++, or Java.
* Experience in solving problems.
* Track record of increasing responsibilities and decision-making experience.
* PhD and/or postdoctoral assignment in the field of Optical Sciences, Physics, Electrical Engineering or related degree (Masters with significant industry experience also accepted).
* 8+ years of experience in research or advanced development.
* Experience in one or more optical design tools such as Code V, Zemax, or FRED.
* Background in development of test automation using LabVIEW, MATLAB, Mathematica or another program which enables custom analysis and automation of metrology.
* Experience managing hardware development or rapid prototyping projects.
* Knowledge and experience with color science and visual/geometric optics.
* Familiarity with optical metrology tools such as interferometry, image quality testing, etc.