Installs, configures, and supports an organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), customer's Internet Network, Intranet and Internet and other data communications systems or a segment of a network system. Maintains network hardware and software. Monitors network to ensure network availability to all system users and perform necessary maintenance to support network availability. May supervise other network support and client server specialists and plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures.
Oversees network control centers. Provides support to projects that involve networks. Evaluates new network technologies and makes recommendations to project managers regarding the integration of these technologies into the existing network. Plans new network configurations and integration into existing networks to maintain optimal performance.
Ensures that plans for hardware and communications are adequate. Develops and implements methodologies for analysis, installation and support of voice communications systems. Provides support in the translation of business requirements into telecommunications (e.g., LAN, MAN, WAN, Voice and Video) requirements, designs and orders.
* Diagnose hardware and software problems, and replace defective components. Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
* Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
* Monitor the performance of computer systems and networks
* Perform routine network startup and shutdown procedures, and maintain control records.
* Configure, and test hardware, networking software and operating system software.
* Prepare technical proposals for presentation to the customer's engineering review boards for adding new technologies to the network.
* Perform a full range of upgrades in accordance with existing network architecture.
* Review user requests for upgrades or additions to the network to assess impact on network performance and provide advice and guidance on the most practical technical approach to meeting user requirements.
* Perform long term O&M activities to include tier 3 troubleshooting and problem resolution.
* Utilize complex network analysis tools to identify and correct problems in the network.
* Prepare troubleshooting procedures for restoring the network to optimal performance levels.
* Provide fault management for the network and supports performance management functions.
* Respond, isolate, and resolve network troubles. Monitor alarms and alerts to identify network elements causing network degradation or failure.
* Maintain logs and records associated with reported problems or situations.
* Execute reporting functions and data input associated with network management
* Monitor security posture of the network, report suspected violations to designated authority.
* Coordinate with configuration management and implementation teams.
* Perform operator-level maintenance on components for network management systems.
* Analyze network characteristics (e.g., traffic, connect time, transmission speeds, packet sizes, and throughput); recommend procurement, removals, and modifications to network components.
* Optimize network topologies and site configurations. Plan installations, transitions, and cutovers of network components and capabilities.
* Coordinate requirements with users and suppliers.
* Organize and direct network installations on site surveys.
* Assess and document current site network configuration and user requirements.
* Maintain operating systems, communications software, data base packages, compilers, assemblers, and utility programs.
* Apply software, hardware, and standards information technology skills in the analysis, specification, development, integration, and acquisition of open systems for Information Management (IM) applications.
* Ensure these systems and applications are compliant with standards for open systems architectures, reference models, and profiles of standards - such as the IEEE Open Systems Environment (OSE) reference model - as they apply to the implementation and specification of IM solutions on the application platform, across the application program interface (API), and the external environment/software application.
* Evaluate and recommend COTS applications and methodologies that can be acquired to provide interoperable, portable, and scalable information technology solutions.
Responsible for the design and development of voice, video, radio-frequency, and/or data communications networks.
1. Analyzes voice, video, radio-frequency, and/or data communications networks, including planning, designing, evaluating, selecting, and upgrading operating systems and protocol suites and configuring communication media with concentrators, bridges, and other devices.
2. Plans network layouts and configures systems to user environments.
3. Analyzes network topologies and traffic and capacity requirements.
4. Supports the acquisition of hardware and software as well as subcontractor services as needed.
5. May provide technical support and troubleshooting to users.
6. May perform network administration duties.
7. Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced network personnel and may have supervisory responsibilities.
8. May serve as technical team or task leader.
9. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
10. Participates in special projects as required.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
8-10 years of directly related experience in network analysis and design.
* 5 years' experience with Windows Server 2012
* Knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server fundamentals
* Familiar with DoD or IC, IT security requirements and processes
Benefits of this Position:
* Opportunity for Fast Growth within the program
* Onsite Gym - get your workout in before work, during your lunch break, or at the end of the day
* Professional Development Assistance - Covering the Cost of Obtaining Professional & Technical Certifications (depending on program)
* Educational Reimbursement - toward degree programs and individual coursework
* 401K Match - with 100% vesting on day one
* Health, Dental and Vision Coverage to keep you healthy, starting your first day
* We know work-life balance is important, GDIT offers Paid Time Off, Plus 10 Paid Holidays
* Parking and transit commuter benefits
Why Work at General Dynamics IT?
* Work with top talent and some of the brightest minds in your field
* Support missions that make a difference to our Nation
* Become part of an organization that that is committed to the highest ethical standards in all that we do
* Thrive in the stability of a large organization, with the ability to move onto new opportunities, supporting different missions, building your career within GDIT
* Want to move, or find a job close to home? We have positions in several locations in the United States and the world
* Enjoy a culture that supports work-life balance
General Dynamics is a Fortune Blue Ribbon Company and Clearance Jobs Top 10 Government Contractor.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.