PURPOSE of POSITION:
The Network Engineer performs maintenance, and upgrade of networks using Cisco networking products, including servers, routers, switches, firewalls, remote access systems, and network management systems. The Network Engineer monitors network connectivity and ensure high quality data transmission. The Network Engineer provides technical support to various departments and users with regards to LAN/MAN/WAN (local/metropolitan/wide area networks) and serves as a liaison with vendors and other third-party providers. The Network Engineer is considered skilled and proficient in discipline and conducts moderately complex work important to the organization while working with supervision and no independent judgment.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. 40%: Overall management of network based products for area of responsibility, to include routers, switches, firewalls, proxies, load balancers, etc. Participates in special projects as required. Interfaces with third party vendors supporting, developing, and maintaining materials for daily operational tasks.
2. 30%: Works daily Helpdesk incidents as required for support of network connectivity or related network issues during daily operational and maintenance.
3. 15%: Configure, ship, deploy, and process returned network gear in the event of an outage or overall hardware failure for Data Center and national wide area networks.
4. 10%: Maintain current NMS to reflect the most up-to-date status on all of the managed products for all team visibility.
5. 5%: Implements approved network changes as required. Monitor network usage, anticipate problems, and suggest solutions
Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree prefered or related experience.
Type of Credentials/Licenses: CCNA preferred
Related Work Experience: 4-6 years
* Prior working experience interfacing with all levels of management and customer (CMS).
* Previous working experience in a US government datacenter environment.
* Strong working knowledge with Cisco IOS with hands-on experience configuring Cisco routers, Cisco Nexus switches and Juniper SRX and Cisco ASA firewalls in a Data Center environment.
* Working knowledge of commercial enterprise-level tools and products to provide network services, including: firewalls, IPS/IDS, DNS, DHCP, web security, TACACS+, VPN and NAC.
* Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must have the ability to clearly document network designs, implementation plans and as-build final documentation package
* Experience with enterprise network grade products to include: Cisco Nexus 7000, 6500, 4500, ACE, ASA and Juniper SRX
* Advanced knowledge of Cisco IOS & NX-OS; EIGRP, BGP, GRE and OSPF.
* Prior working knowledge/experience with F5 Load Balancers and AWS Networking including VPC, CSRs, etc.
* Experience with tiered architectures - e.g. presentation, application, data
* Knowledge of ITSM/ITIL management concept
* Strong written and oral communications skills
SCOPE of POSITION:
This position is an individual contributor and has no supervisory responsibilities. Provides functional expertise through day-to-day work tasks. Works under the supervision of management.