At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Northwestern Mutual is looking for enthusiastic leaders who are looking to help manage cloud native technologists on an exciting team. The Assistant Director of Cloud Platform Engineering will have the responsibility to mentor and coach engineers while also ensuring the success and vitality of the services provided to all consumers of Public Cloud technology at NM. They will collaborate in the architectural direction along with the principal engineers and product owners and provide a continuous progression of cloud platform services and capabilities. This is an exciting opportunity to demonstrate leadership excellence on a world-class cloud-engineering team.
Apart from being an experienced people leader in technology, the right candidate will demonstrate impeccable enterprise level behaviors and practices including architectural review, mentorship, agile work planning and reporting, documentation, release management, and end-user training. In building platform capabilities and services, they will enable our development community to be self-sufficient, agile, and be able to operate as responsible consumers of the cloud. The right candidate also has the ability to work beyond common conflicts experienced to transform the organization. As a technology leader at NM, they will work through opposing goals and constraining circumstances. Combined with the technical chops, they will need to possess the drive and interpersonal skills to constantly evolve the team, the platform, and revolutionize the business.
About the Cloud Platform Team - The Northwestern Mutual public cloud platform experience is a cloud-native environment that is built on AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, Ansible and other open source projects. Our platforms is an automated, multi-tenant environment utilized to run mission-critical workloads at enterprise scale and are currently used by thousands of developers across hundreds of teams.
* Build, improve, and perhaps reimagine platform capabilities and services while addressing a variety of technical needs & issues including automation/self-service, security concerns around identity & access, data protection, CICD security, high availability, monitoring, scalability, self-healing, and effective cost postures
* Build a true PaaS leveraging Infra as Code for platform capabilities and services using Terraform, Lambda, Kubernetes native deployments, & Docker for the entire Lifecycle of application and infrastructure
* Lead in the execution and development of key projects and initiatives. Examples may include IaaS automation, cost management, security auto-remediation, IAM role, and policy management
* Operate as a leader of specific team focus areas to plan, execute and release features and future capability
* Be a technology leader & drive innovation by scouting the market for new technologies, tools and quickly prototype to ensure that the platform is constantly evolving in its capability
Ideal Skills to Succeed
* Mastery of multiple traditional or cloud computing technology and concepts including Networking, Compute, Storage, Development, Data, Operations, and/or Security
* Demonstrated advanced experience with Infra as Code concepts and tooling including Ansible, Terraform, Python, JSON, and YAML
* Advanced proficiency with modern development and scripting languages (Python, Golang, JS, .Net Core)
* Exceptional planning, documentation and technical discussion and demonstration practices
* Develop and grow high-quality engineering talent through recruiting, training, mentoring, and coaching within your team and across the technology organization
* Experience in analyzing performance and availability metrics, and deriving course of action to remediate service availability issues and failures
* Excellent troubleshooting skills within areas of expertise
Bring Your Best! What this role requires
* Strong customer focus and relationship skills and ability to handle customer concerns
* Ability to explain technical solutions to technical teams and non-technical teams
* Minimum 3 years' experience planning, organizing and managing activities of others as direct reports or project teams
* Experience managing exceptional engineers
* Experience with engineering full software development lifecycle best practices including requirement gathering, design, testing, implementation and support
* Experience with modern infrastructure as code technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, Packer
* Experience with modern CI/CD pipeline technologies involving git repositories, static code analysis, test-driven development etc. Some examples are SonarQube, Jenkins, GitLab CI, Maven, Gradle, JSLint
* Experience in at least one public cloud environment, preferably AWS
* A passion for keeping current on new technologies that could benefit our customers like serverless, machine learning, blockchain, and others
* Staying up to speed on technology changes within our organization.
* Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to analyze a business process/workflow, identify bottlenecks, improve the flow
* Strong sense of ownership and the ability to work with a limited set of requirements
* Flexibility, ability to manage multiple priorities and ability to handle ambiguity
* Exemplary written and verbal communication skill
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Req ID: 25666
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Education Experience: Bachelor's Required
Employment Experience: 9+ years
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: 07/15/2019