Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Manager Data Scientist, Tech College Machine Learning
Data is at the center of everything we do. As a startup, we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
As a Data Scientist at Capital One, you'll be part of a team that's leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in computing and machine learning technologies and operating across billions of customer records to unlock the big opportunities that help everyday people save money, time and agony in their financial lives.
Learning is now a continuous, lifelong activity. Since tech skills now have a half-life of about two and half years, how could it be any other way? Recognizing this, Capital one established Tech College in 2017 to revolutionize the learning experience for associates. In particular, Tech College is technologist-driven. Yes, we do have experts in learning and educational design. But, it's the subject matter experts in machine learning, data engineering, cloud, cyber, mobile, software engineering, and agile that set the direction and curate or create the learning content.
As a member of the Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence discipline of Capital One's Tech College, you'll be part of a team responsible for curating, designing, developing, and delivering highly engaging learning experiences that fuel our growth as a tech company and help our associates develop or maintain cutting-edge skills in machine learning and artificial intelligence. We expect you to be an accomplished and versatile machine learning practitioner. We'll also expect you to keep up with the latest and greatest data science tools and capabilities so that you can lead our associates' learning. You'll get to work with our internal, vendor, and university partners in getting creative about ML learning. And, Tech College is a great spot from which to learn about Capital One's broader machine learning community.
Tech College is a bold investment in developing our associates and leaders, recruiting top technical talent, and continuing to differentiate ourselves in the market. Tech College aims to transform our approach to empowering our associates and leaders with the technical skills they need to be successful in current and future roles.
In this role, you will:
* Be the experienced practitioner on machine learning that others look to for guidance and education.
* Partner with a cross-functional team of data scientists, software engineers, product managers, and learning specialists to develop and deliver a learning product that people love
* Teach a broad stack of technologies - Python, Tensorflow, Scikit-Learn, AWS, H2O, Spark, and more - for revealing the insights hidden within huge volumes of numeric and textual data
* Teach others how to build machine learning models through all phases of development, from design through training, evaluation, validation, and deployment
* Flex your interpersonal skills to translate the complexity of your work into tangible business goals
* Curate existing content from various sources like universities, commercial content providers, and publicly available material
* Develop and conduct training through a variety of modes (in person, on-line, self-paced, blended)
* Create hands-on challenges to highlight Capital One data, business problems, and practices
The Ideal Candidate is:
* Experienced. You need to have earned a few bumps and bruises while developing and deploying machine learning solutions to business problems.
* Innovative. You continually research and evaluate emerging technologies. You stay current on published state-of-the-art methods, technologies, and applications and seek out opportunities to apply them.
* A leader. You challenge conventional thinking and work with stakeholders to identify and improve the status quo. You're passionate about talent development.
* Technical. You're comfortable with open-source languages and are passionate about developing further. You have hands-on experience developing data science solutions using open-source tools and cloud computing platforms.
* Statistically-minded. You've built models, validated them, and backtested them. You know how to interpret a confusion matrix or a ROC curve. You have experience with a variety of applications such as clustering, classification, regression, sentiment analysis, time series, or deep learning.
* Bachelor's Degree plus 4 years of experience, or Master's Degree plus 2 years of experience in data analytics, or PhD
* At least 2 years' industry experience in open source programming languages for large scale data-driven solutions
* At least 2 years' industry experience with machine learning
* PhD in "STEM" field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics)
* At least 1 year of experience working with AWS
* At least 4 years' experience in Python, Scala, or R
* At least 4 years' experience with machine learning
* At least 4 years' experience with SQL
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.