UL is seeking an experienced machine learning engineer to join the iON team in Chicago, IL
Contribute to a Safer, More Secure, and More Sustainable World. At UL, we know why we come to work. Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with one common purpose - to make the world a safer, more secure, and more sustainable place to live. We clear the way for our customers to introduce the latest products, technological advances, and systems in an increasingly complex world so they can provide peace of mind to the market. Our integrity is woven throughout our company and shapes the way we approach and deliver our solutions. We are proud that the work we do every day has a meaningful contribution to society. We continue to build upon our legacy of trusted expertise and partnership to keep our communities safe and secure as we march forward into the future. This helps us to sleep better at night, and we are confident that the millions of people we touch rest easier too.
iON is a big data platform combining data ingest, data enrichment, analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence. The iON team is now looking to add a machine learning engineer to accelerate the growth of the most innovative UL digital technology investment in its history. Our goal is to enable the UL client base to effectively leverage recent developments in the digital revolution, by giving them the ability to truly leverage their own corpus of data combined with 3rd party data sources, UL's core data sources and deep Voice of Science competences, to win in a rapidly evolving digital eco-system.
Our ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about working with data and driven to deliver creative and compelling solutions which turn data into actionable information for our customers. We are seeking someone who is self-directed yet a team player to work with other teams bringing analytical capabilities as part of our product. As a key resource on our team you must possess strong interpersonal skills, maintain a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail and have excellent oral and written communication skills. The role will be responsible for designing and developing innovative analytical solutions, which drive business insights within our products. A solid foundation in machine learning and development best practices is a pre-requisite. You will work at the intersection of our data engineering, data science, and UX teams and help us build our evolving analytical platform.
As a machine learning engineer, you'll need to:
* Understand and use computer science fundamentals, including data structures, algorithms, computability and complexity and computer architecture
* Use exceptional mathematical skills, in order to perform computations and work with the algorithms involved in this type of programming
* Produce project outcomes and isolate the issues that need to be resolved, in order to make programs more effective
* Collaborate with data engineers and data scientists to build data and model pipelines
* Manage the infrastructure and data pipelines needed to bring code to production
* Demonstrate end-to-end understanding of applications (including, but not limited to, the machine learning algorithms) being created
* Build algorithms based on statistical modelling procedures and build and maintain scalable machine learning solutions in production
* Apply machine learning algorithms and libraries for problem solving skills with an emphasis on product development
* Lead on software engineering and software design using machine learning services
* Communicate and explain complex processes to people who are not programming experts
* Liaise with stakeholders to analyze business problems, clarify requirements and define the scope of the resolution needed
* Research and implement best practices to improve the existing machine learning infrastructure
* Provide support to engineers and product managers in implementing machine learning in the product
* Create automated machine learning services/systems and constant tracking of its performance.
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in Data Analytics, Data Science or Computer Science
* A number of years' experience in software development using Python and Shell Scripting
* Proficiency in statistical, predictive modeling, machine learning with big data using tools like Python and R,.
* Experience with optimization on state-of-the-art machine learning models.
* Ability to write high quality production code for model deployment using CI/CD pipelines
* Programming or scripting experience (e.g. Python, PowerShell, Java, or C#)
* Experience using Big Data technologies (Spark, Cosmos, or Azure)
* Detailed knowledge of machine learning evaluation metrics and best practice
* Strong Python coding skills and problem-solving, good analytical & communication skills
* Demonstrated effective interpersonal, influencing, collaboration and listening skills
* Experience of working in an Agile environment & Agile Project Management
* Experience with Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Bricks, Azure Kubernetes, Azure Machine Learning Studio and Azure Cognitive Services