Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things.
Our four networks businesses are enabling a new type of network, converging mobile and fixed broadband access, IP routing and optical networks, with the software and services to optimize network performance. We are seamlessly weaving together an increasingly diverse mix of technologies, to create efficient, smart, and agile networks, and enable new types of connected services, automated, secured, and managed through the Cloud.
The IP/Optical Networks (ION) Optics Business Unit is driving the WDM technology to build dependable, large-scale, yet flexible network infrastructures for service providers and web-scale enterprises
Currently there is an opportunity for a Systems Engineer to join the ION Optics Business Unit . This role requires someone who has expertise in Layer 2 and packet features in optical transport systems, and has the ability to specify requirements (functional and user-interface) for use by development, test, and customer documentation groups, both independently and in collaboration with other systems engineers.
Nokia is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. At Nokia, employment decisions are made regardless of sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information or ancestry, protected Veteran or military status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Key Responsibilities / Functions:
* Work with product line management, business development teams, and customers to define the roadmap for Layer 2 and packet features for the 1830 PSS product family. * Work with product line management and feature development teams to ensure that system features are properly planned into the release life cycle. * Recommend evolution of 1830 physical, firmware, and software architectures and designs to support new system features. * Author requirements documents for the development teams and be the primary source of information for customer documentation. * Drive system features throughout the development life cycle including the review of architecture, design, test plans and customer documentation ensuring that the developed features are fully aligned with business objectives. * Respond to the feature definition / requirements related clarification questions from the development teams in a timely and effective manner. * Provide detailed feature communication (technical and non-technical) to teams outside of the WDM team for purposes of training of sales teams, product management teams, etc.
Some of the activities in this area could be:
* Preparation of professional presentations, white papers, application notes, training material and other technical marketing collaterals. * Technical competitive analysis. * Occasional visits to the customers / partners for pre, post sales and training related needs. * Completing the above while maintaining and enhancing a development process compliant with TL9000.
Specialized knowledge required:
* Expertise in packet technologies. * IEEE 802.1, ITU-T, and MEF standards based Ethernet bridging and protocols including.
* Link Aggregation.
* Ethernet OAM (Service Connectivity Fault Management, Link OAM).
* Familiarity with Nokia Service Routers and OS is a plus.
* Superior written and verbal communication skills, both technical and non-technical. * Reasonably flexible to work outside of normal working hours as required to accommodate globally distributed teams in different time zones. * Able to travel a reasonable amount of time, both overseas and within North America, as required. * Strong capacity and interest to learn new technical areas and products. * Capable of driving issues to resolution and providing technical leadership for geographically distributed / cross-functional teams.
Bachelor/Masters in Telecommunications/Electronics/Computer Science/Optics.
Required work experience:
At least 5 years of relevant experience in Telecommunications, with at least 2 years in a role similar to the role described above.
Let your dream job find you.
Sign up to start matching with top companies. It’s fast and free.