Job ID R1908204 Date posted Jun. 27, 2019
First and foremost, this position is all about large scale data acquisition and analytics. As an engineer in the VMware Analytics Cloud, your primary focus will be to build the best telemetry platform possible for all teams across VMware. This system is built to help teams acquire and analyze telemetry from their products deployed in the field. This covers a broad range of responsibilities including not only development, but levels of architecture, operations, and internal customer engagement and support. We work very closely within our own local team as well as also with our team members overseas. Our system is quite large and involves proper communication to grow the platform and add new features. We also have a significant amount of internal customers and regularly work with them closely to design and implement new features. We have a very open culture that encourages everyone to play their own part and share knowledge. You will be responsible for taking requirements through design and implementation to operations. As you gain more experience and work with outside teams, you will also help derive these requirements.
A successful member of the team will have a great level of self motivation and drive. You will be expected to craft stable, maintainable and well documented features. As you grow in experience and seniority, you will also be helping other members of the grow and learn as well. We all work better and are more successful together. You will have the independence and trust to understand the big picture and determine where you can make the greatest impact. There is phenomenal opportunity for growth in this project as VMware is just starting out in its analytics journey and there is much to do!
As an Engineer you will:
* Be responsible for the full development lifecycle, taking features from requirements through design, development, testing, continuous deployment and operations.
* Define tasking and estimates, driving your own development and the success of your features.
* Contribute to the architectural vision, roadmap, and implement standards for governing, modeling, storing, and delivering data within the enterprise.
* Drive standards in development, design, CI/CD and DevOps.
For this role you should:
* Have proven experience in software development, ideally in distributed computing environments or Big Data platforms.
* Have 3 or more years as a software developer, preferably in Java.
* Have 1 or more years of experience as a technology authority, preferably in large scale data ingest, data architecture or database design.
* Be change oriented - actively generates process improvements; drives positive change; confronts difficult circumstances in creative ways; balances multiple competing priorities and executes accordingly.
* Have exceptional social and communication skills: verbal, written and listening.
Additional beneficial experience:
* Experience with SaaS and Cloud platforms. Technologies like AWS, Docker, Kubernetes.
* Advanced knowledge of data processing concepts (e.g. ETL, data aggregation, data analysis) is highly desirable.
* Experience with Hadoop ecosystem, Impala, or Presto.
* Solid understanding of SQL and NoSQL databases.
* Experience with ML/Data Analytics tools like TensorFlow, iPython, R.
* Knowledge of BI concepts and reporting tools like Tableau or Mode Analytics.
* Experience working in an Agile environment.
Apply now Apply now