Department Academic Innovation and New Ventures Alternate Department Description Criminal Background Check Standard Background Check Motor Vehicle Background Check No Statement of Economic Interest Restricted Position? Yes, is not eligible for layoff or severance benefits. Job Category Classified Staff Role (State) Job Title Information Technology Specialist III Working Title IT Business Analyst Job Type Full-Time Position Number 10569z Recruit Number STF9265 Working Hours Location Fairfax, VA Other Location Pay Band Payband 6 Salary Commensurate with education and experience. Web Announcement
IT Business Analyst for Academic Innovation and New Ventures
George Mason University (Mason) is on the move to be a leading higher education innovator in 21st century education. This includes the development of career ready students, prepared for a thriving local and national labor market. As the largest public institution of higher education in Virginia, we are envisioning new ways of providing students with access to a George Mason education and impactful post-graduate careers.
The George Mason University Office of the Provost invites applications for the position of IT Business Analyst for the Office of Academic Innovation and New Ventures that will focus on supporting ADVANCE, a partnership between George Mason University and the Northern Virginia Community College. ADVANCE is program designed to streamline the academic and administrative path from NOVA Community College to a 4-year degree at George Mason University. The ADVANCE program has established a goal to design tools to help students evaluate career pathways and make more informed decisions about their course of study as well as their curricular pathways from NOVA to Mason, and ultimately accelerate their careers.
The IT Business Analyst will report to the Executive Director for Academic Ventures. Their charge will be the design, development, and management of stakeholder coordination for the creation of a suite of career accelerator tools, training and services designed to better connect ADVANCE students to employers. This position is grant-funded and employment is contingent on funding.
As a member of the Academic Innovation and New Ventures Unit, this position will require experience with the management of projects, web, and data visualization in higher education environments. In addition to technical background this role requires the building and maintenance of strong relationships with key stakeholders across both NOVA and Mason campuses. Success will emphasize both technical acumen in the identification and assembly of web resources, but also clear communication, helping groups of stakeholders adhere to deadlines, and fostering an environment of cooperation and collaboration that both drives innovation and operational excellence.
The IT Business Analyst reports to the Executive Director of Academic Innovation and New Ventures and work directly with the Executive Director for ADVANCE NOVA/Mason. The IT Business Analyst is responsible for mapping career data and designing a student-centric visual web-based application to help with their career decisions using technology, and supporting the training of ADVANCE students and their NOVA/Mason success coaches to help with student career decisions. This includes designing the tool features and user interfaces by assembling web, data and other third party resources to create a Career Accelerator web portal and associated tools. This requires identifying data and web assets, working with the ED for Academic Ventures to create RFPs and vendor relationships, coordinating with local employers and students to design the tool features and launching the tool and associated career services training. The successful candidate is expected to plan, manage and oversee the delivery of this highly innovative new product/toolkit. Duties include:
* Conduct technical discovery exercise;
* Evaluate user needs to create systems solutions that support overall business strategies including organizing student focus groups and employer advisory sessions;
* Document system requirements, defines scope and objectives, and create system specifications that drive system development and implementation;
* Collaborate with administrative and academic leadership, information technology services staff, enrollment service managers, budget office personnel and external strategic business partners to plan, develop, launch, and deliver the new offering;
* Ensure that project management timelines and requirements are clear and well communicated from project inception to completion;
* Support the development of training materials for success coaches and advisors on how to use the product;
* Support the creation of communication materials and report on product performance to internal and external stakeholders, including the donor.
* Bachelor's degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience;
* Demonstrated experience in data visualization, web-based/digital product development in a business and/or higher education environment (particular emphasis will be placed on those who come from businesses and ed tech providers that serve higher education organizations);
* Experience in developing product concepts, and designs that reflect market and user requirements;
* Skills conducting research and developing a good understanding of the customer/ student /administrative staff needs and new technologies;
* Develops requirements documents, functional specifications, and mock ups to clearly illustrate product ideas and concepts;
* Experience with typical phases of the product development lifecycle, including analysis, design, testing, and integration of products as well as the introduction of products to the market;
* Knowledge of web layout principles, and aesthetic design concepts and user interface and general web page functionality;
* Demonstrated experience working in a complex stakeholder project environment;
* A strong ability to facilitate discussions with internal and external stakeholders;
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
* Experience with project management (i.e., attention to process detail, scheduling, and meeting coordination activities);
* The ability to work with a diverse population of faculty and staff;
* Proven ability to self-motivate in team-oriented, high-pressured environment.
* Master's degree preferred;
* Ability to program in visual languages (i.e. SAS, SPSS, Python, and/or R);
* Knowledge of job market, employment trends and career services;
* Direct experience developing products in career services;
* Advanced data analysis;
* Instructional design or training development experience;
* Higher education experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
For Full Consideration, Apply by: April 23, 2019 Posting Date 04/10/2019 Job Close Date Open Until Filled? Yes Telework Friendly? Mason Ad Statement
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report "Up and Coming" spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason's diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Campus Safety Information
Mason's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/