Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that literally make the world run today - planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Software Systems Engineers in IBM Cloud & Cognitive Software design, build and deploy complex and highly reliable applications and services to provide optimum integration into Enterprise IT systems, with capabilities to create a dedicated instance for each customer.
Who We Are
Our patented, Emmy® award-winning FASP™ protocol is at the core of next-generation transport technologies that move the world's data at maximum speed regardless of file size, transfer distance and network conditions. Originally conceptualized and developed by the legacy Aspera organization, this offering fully utilizes existing infrastructures to deliver the fastest, most predictable file-transfer experience. Integrated with IBM's enterprise capabilities, the result is unprecedented control over bandwidth, complete security and uncompromising reliability.
Whom We're Seeking
Our software stack contains web services across a variety of frameworks as well as native and Go-based applications. As a high-speed data transfer service, we are seeking an Development Engineer eager to solve unique problems in Kubernetes networking, scaling, and reliability. The ideal candidate will also be familiar with the "day-two problems" of development operations (aka DevOps), visibility and support; and understands best practices around these problems.
What You'll Do
* Expand existing build pipelines to increase supported platforms
* Contribute to the design of innovative solutions to hybrid cloud problems on IBM Cloud Private
* Build dashboards and enhancing system visibility with Prometheus, Grafana, and Kibana
* Create and enhance Helm charts for service description and repeatable deployments
* Migrate existing Helm based deployments to use Operators
* Work on projects focused on porting existing workloads to microservices and containers
Who You Are
You apply creativity and judgment to your developmental work on different projects and jump at the chance to share your findings to make those around you better at what they do. You recognize complex problems related to functional objectives quickly, analyze situations and implement solutions to fix them. We believe you are a good fit for this role if you:
* Are passionate about and possess experience crafting technology solutions and eliminating mundane and repetitive work
* Understand security models
* Are a systematic problem solver at heart, agile and adaptable in changing priorities
* Have experience running native code on a hybrid cloud platform
* Have never encountered a deadline you couldn't meet
Who You'll Work With
You'll have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and independent team of engineers and other functions such as User Experience Design, Architecture, Data Science, QA, Product Management and Delivery to design and develop advanced capabilities. We come to work thrilled knowing it will never be the same day twice. This variety enables us to be innovative convergent thinkers who juggle challenging requirements with agility.
Today's operating environment demands a stack that's responsive to the innovative enterprise - one that can demonstrate all data types & access the latest technologies. By 2020, businesses will contribute at least 50% of IT spend on cloud. Be part of a diverse and global team of thinkers and doers - people who want to make an impact, nurture their expertise and collaborate with some of the world's top business and technology professionals. We're hiring...JOIN US.
#swdev #docker #PaaS @IBMCloud #kubernetes #devops #security #SDLC #nativecode #golang #CICD @caffeinate_adam #highspeedtransfer #SCRUM #IBMToday #SaaS @IBMNAJobs #API #collaboration #fasp
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
* In addition to your strong written and verbal communication skills, you'll possess at least three (3) years' experience....
* Running and monitoring production workloads on a container orchestration platform
* Continuous Integration/Delivery experience with one or more of the following (Jenkins, Gitlab CI, Travis)
* Working or familiarity with Kubernetes networking model, including ingress patterns
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
* 5+ years' experience in both development and DevOps roles
* 5+ years' experience with Kubernetes networking model, including ingress patterns
* Experience working in a private cloud environment
* Strong knowledge of linux systems and security models
* Grasp of advanced networking concepts, including routing, service discovery, and load balancing
* Experience deploying and running highly available cloud services
* Running and monitoring production workloads on a container orchestration platform (Kubernetes, Marathon, Aurora)
* Experience building for non-x86 architectures is a plus (Linux on Z, PowerLinux)
* Understanding of threat modeling and security best practices
About Business Unit
Digitization is accelerating the ongoing evolution of business, and clouds - public, private, and hybrid - enable companies to extend their existing infrastructure and integrate across systems. IBM Cloud provides the security, control, and visibility that our clients have come to expect. We are working to provide the right tools and environment to combine all of our client's data, no matter where it resides, to respond to changing market dynamics.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world. What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education: None Commissionable: No
Key Job Details
* Category:Software Development & Support
* Required Education:Bachelor's Degree
* Position Type:Professional
* Employment Type:Full-Time
* Contract Type:Regular
* Req ID:242378BR
* Location:EMERYVILLE, CA US