Are you passionate about rapidly prototyping and designing innovative, usable systems?
Are you a leader looking for a creative outlet and truly impactful work?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our Human Systems Engineering team at APL.
We are seeking Human Systems Engineering/Human Systems Integration (HSE/HSI) technical expertise to help us rapidly prototype systems of the future for the Navy. Our team consists of psychologists, systems engineers, computer scientists, and others who spend our days advocating for warfighters and our end users. With us, you will develop solutions to bridge the gap between the warfighters and engineers, and consider the human to be a key part of system design, while helping us optimize human/machine warfighting teams in information dense, high stakes environments.
As part of our Human Systems Engineering Team:
* Your primary responsibility will be to contribute technical leadership and expertise in HSE/HSI to influence the design of current and future fielded Navy systems.
* You will review, assess, make recommendations on, and influence: Requirements design, Use Case development, and Functional Flow modeling for systems and systems of systems.
* You will lead and perform task analyses, workload modeling, and human interface design, through direct interaction with the warfighters.
* You will lead and participate in multi-organization working groups to review results, refine concepts, propose solutions, and oversee analyses with other team members, including usability testing and end-user feedback collection for implemented systems.
* You will coordinate efforts with APL staff and government Sponsors, and Assist with shaping overall strategy for the Human Systems Engineering Team.
* You will produce documentation to capture warfighter feedback, concept definition of tactics and control mechanisms, technical recommendations, and analysis results.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
* Hold a Bachelor's Degree in Human Systems Engineering, Human Systems Integration, Human Computer Interaction, Industrial Engineering, UI/UX design or equivalent relevant discipline, and 3 years of responsibilities related to HSE/HSI for a complex system (military system preferred) or equivalent years of experience without degree.
* Have experience in a team environment involving prototyping, usability testing, storyboarding, etc.
* Have the ability to work independently and with government, DoD Sponsors, and analysis teams.
* Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Are able to obtain a SECRET level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government secret clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
* Hold an Active Secret clearance or above.
* Hold a Masters Degree in Human Systems Engineering, Human Systems Integration, Human Computer Interaction, Industrial Engineering, UI/UX design, or equivalent.
* Have at least 10 years of experience related to HSE/HSI for Navy ship defense systems with practical experience and progressive responsibilities and accomplishments in Cyber, Radar, Surface Electronic Warfare, Mission Planning Ship Self-Defense System (SSDS), and/or Aegis Combat System.
* Have practical experience with model development tools (e.g., IMPRINT, UML/Magic Draw, Bizagi, or similar), and wireframing tools (e.g., Axure, Balsamiq).
* Have experience leading operator observation events.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.