Careers that Change Lives
Consider joining a team of mechanical, electrical and software engineers responsible for developing Medtronic's Robotic Assisted Surgery platform through commercial launch and production scale-up.
Impact patient outcomes. Come for a job, stay for a career:
The Minimally Invasive Therapies Group strives to enable earlier diagnosis, better treatment, faster complication-free recovery, and enhanced patient outcomes through less invasive surgical solutions.
SURGICAL INNOVATIONS set the standard for Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) by creating innovative surgical products and services that focus on obesity and diseases and conditions of the gastrointestinal tract, lung, abdominal wall, pelvic region, and the head and neck.
A Day in the Life - you will:
* Focus on graphical user interface software development, utilizing previous experiences in multiple product/industries, preferable with medical device development.
* Translate written requirements into a well-designed implementation.
* Assist in developing the current and next generation Graphical User Interface for the Medtronic robotic-assisted surgical system.
* Be involved in designing or architecting new GUI features for existing or future releases of the product, fix software defects, and other software development activities.
* With your extensive work experience, you may be called upon for cross-team software development or support. Software development will be in the context of a large medical manufacturing environment.
* Beyond writing code - you will contribute to reviewing requirements, running unit tests, hiring or mentoring junior engineers, helping to solve build issues, integrating the GUI with other subsystems, participating in software reviews, and collaborating with other groups.
Must have: Minimum qualifications: A Bachelor's Degree and 5+ years of relevant experience.
Nice to have:
* A BSc. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or Equivalent Degree with appropriate experience. MSc. preferred with minimum of 2+ years of experience.
* A minimum of 5+ years of software development experience; practical programming experience delivering a real product and responding to feature requests and defect reports.
* Recent experience implementing GUIs, graphics and rendering.
* The ability to write and communicate ideas clearly in correspondences and design documents.
* A commitment to solid, high-quality code; experience with writing, running, and analyzing unit tests strongly preferred.
* Expert coding skills in C++ (C++11 or newer).
* Current Qt 5.x experience, preferably within the past six months.
* Experience with cross-platform Qt/QML development and testing Qt/QML applications.
* Proficiency in profiling Qt and debugging Qt applications on Linux and Windows.
* Worked with video data streams and understands the fundamentals of handling and processing video data under real-world use-cases.
* Developed software with Linux software development tools.
* Experience with revision control software such as git.
* Exposure to QNX or embedded operating systems.
* Experience in running application software under virtual machines such as VMWare or Virtual Box or the like.
* A passion for learning new things and enjoys variety.
* Excellent communication and teaming skills.
* The wherewithal to roll-up sleeves for testing and debugging GUI on system hardware.
* This position requires a person to be able to lift small loads and maneuver in laboratory spaces for accessing the robotically-assisted surgical equipment when testing.
* Work within a commutable distance to our Boston/Seaport office with the option to work remotely a portion of the week, as business needs allow.
* Work travel is anticipated to be low for this position; some travel may be required for software design, collaboration, meetings, or debugging offsite.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let's work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients' lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position.
The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
This employer participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees .