Description:This position is for a Software Engineer within Ground Data System (GDS) team for the Deep Space Exploration (DSE) organization. You will support NASA interplanetary missions managed by Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) or Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC), including InSight, OSIRIS-REx, MAVEN, Juno, MRO, and Odyssey that are in operations, as well as the Lucy mission that is in development. You will perform operational support and software development for GDS tools. These tools include command line, GUI-based and web-based applications that perform spacecraft telemetry, data processing and attitude modeling. All tasks will require working closely with the end users of all tools and responding to their feedback. In addition to adapting existing tools for new missions, candidates must be able to support on-call activities during critical mission activities.
The primary responsibilities will include:
* Software requirements definition, design, code, unit test, and integration testing for a variety of ground applications, tools and scripts in support of spacecraft analysis and operations.
* Operational support to spacecraft teams to deployed environments, including internally developed and 3rd party ground software. Includes ensuring real-time dataflows, data management process, querying processes, command building tools, and analysis tools
* Support troubleshooting of deployed ground system hardware, operating systems and networks, coordinating with System Admins to resolve issues
* Adapt and transition for tools from a legacy deployment network to Lucy mission environment. Includes configuring tools for deployment on the new network to include filesystem structure and management as well as CGI/Glassfish deployment.
* Implementation of software fixes and new capabilities as required
* Coordinating with GDS teammates and Systems/subsystem engineers to define and refine interface requirements through design, test and operations
* Integrate flight software updates into attitude prediction and environmental torque models
* Performing SW maintenance and development in a variety of languages (C/C++, Java, PERL, scripts, groovy)
* Developing web-based RESTful services, GUI interfaces, and integration with mysqldb, activemq & glassfish
* Deploy and integrate software to operational environments, and provide operational support to systems and subsystems engineers within DSE
* Perform tasks in accordance with DSE and Lockheed Martin software development best practices and defined SW development processes
* Improve GDS SW architecture, implementation and SW processes using LM and industry best-practices to reduce technical debt
* Writing or updating and running unit, subsystem and/or system tests
Typically has 5 - 10 years of professional experience.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
* Paid time off
* Work/life balance
* Career development
* Mentorship opportunities
* Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin's competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
* Software development and maintenance experience in C/C++ and Java for the full Software lifecycle development including Requirements, Design, Code, Unit Test
* Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written with the ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner to varying levels of teammates, management and customers
* Strong user support skills able to directly address user concerns
* Familiarity with Linux and Solaris environments and comfortable with basic Unix system administration activities
* Experience developing and supporting Unix/Linux scripts (tcsh/csh/sh/bash/ksh) and tools in a Solaris and Linux environment
* Demonstrated experience supporting multiple projects simultaneously
* Experience performing web application development including RESTful services, user interface, integration with mysqldb, activemq, glassfish
* Experience with 3rd party software Junit, Mockito, Apache Wicket, Hibernate, Apache maven, Google Test, groovy, XML, Nexus
* Experience with source code repositories (Git, Gitlab, CVS, SVN), SW development, management and continuous integration tools (Netbeans/Eclipse; Nexus, Jenkins, Redmine, Jira, Puppet/Chef)
* Experience developing SW for support of spacecraft operations, including telemetry and data processing, basic spacecraft attitude dynamics and environmental torque models (1st order gravitational torque and torque due to solar pressure and reflectivity)
* Experience working with Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) and/or Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC)
* Experience working Ground Data Systems in support of spacecraft operations
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They're dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.