VIAVI (NASDAQ: VIAV) has a 90 year history of technical innovations that have evolved to keep pace and address our customer's most pressing business issues. We make equipment, software, and systems that help to plan, deploy, certify, monitor, and optimize all kinds of networks - like those for mobile phones, service providers, large businesses and data centers. And, we are also at the forefront of optical security - we bend light to develop and deliver optical solutions that provide security to the world's currencies and safety and performance applications for consumer electronics and spectrometry.
We are the people behind the products that help keep the world connected - at home, school, work, at play, and everywhere in between. VIAVI employees are fierce about supporting customer success and we welcome people who bring their best every day to the company - to question, to collaborate and to push for solutions that will delight our customers.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and skilled System Architect/Mgr to join our team developing state of the art test & measurement products. The candidate will hold a highly visible position in a very dynamic, multi-tasking work environment. The position is a dual role where you will be responsible for the SW architecture across multiple Instrument platforms as well as setting the direction for the tools/processes/training of the Embedded SW groups across the Instruments Division. This role requires both technical and leadership skills to be successful across the different teams/locations/products. A successful candidate must have a proven ability to utilize personal leadership, communications and team development skills to help align the teams on architecture, tools and processes while maintaining our innovation leadership.
* Interact with diverse areas (e.g. marketing, operations, other divisions) to achieve business unit goals.
* Act as a change agent, collaborate with others to improve agile development processes. Leverage DevOps to develop and execute automated solutions and tools to monitor and support SW development and release process while accelerating SW release cycle with higher quality and lower cost.
* In conjunction with Marketing and Engineering teams, develop and maintain a product / technology roadmap aligned with the strategic direction of the business. Identify any technology or skill set gaps that will impede roadmap attainment and develop and execute plans for resolution.
* Support our "One-Team" initiative to converge on tools/processes across the different R&D locations.
* Mentor the other SW leads to better enable cross-site development capabilities.
* Exercise Business Acumen to make smart business and product tradeoff decisions across entire business.
* Work cross-functionally to perform risk assessments to encourage teams to take informed risks with measured consequences.
* Manage complexity and ambiguity to lead teams in execution while details are being finalized over time.
* BS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering. Master's degree a big plus.
* Eight plus years of engineering management/leadership experience and 10 years of hands on software development experience.
* Working knowledge of key telecom & mobile technologies is desirable.
* Proven ability to lead software development teams and ensure objectives, goals, and commitments are met
* Solid understanding of software development life cycle models as well as expert knowledge of both Agile and traditional project management principles and practices and the ability to blend them together in the right proportions to fit a project and business environment
* A proven track record of successfully implementing software projects using Agile methodologies and tools such as Jira
* Experience overseeing multi-function project teams with at least 20 team members including Developers, PLM, PM etc.
* Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building
* Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands
* Excellent oral and written communications skills and experience interacting with PLM, BU GM and executive level
* Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the "big picture" view
* Ability to define and create project management plans and documents to present project status to senior management. Must be results oriented to achieve project goals by doing whatever is necessary to move the team forward.
* Experience in reviewing and identifying long-term staffing needs, recruiting top-level talent, and developing an engineering environment that provides challenges and develops a high caliber Software development team.
* Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and master new technologies and techniques.
* Ability to work across sites, time zones and cultures to deliver on project goals in addition to overall company initiatives.
If you have what it takes to push boundaries and seize opportunities, apply to join our team today.
VIAVI Solutions is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer - minorities/females/veterans/persons with disabilities.