HMS makes the healthcare system work better for everyone. We fight fraud, waste, and abuse so people have access to healthcare-now and in the future. Using innovative technology and powerful data analytics, we help government and commercial payers reduce costs, increase quality, and achieve regulatory compliance. We also help consumers take a more active role in their own health. Each year, we save our clients billions of dollars while helping people live healthier lives. At HMS, you will develop new skills and build your career in a dynamic industry while making a difference in the lives of others.
We are seeking an experienced individual for a Director, Big Data Operations position. This role will manage a big data technology operations team and lead solutions development and projects end-to-end in support of business objectives and value. The successful candidate will have a track record of successfully managing a team of big data engineers/developers. This candidate will build and lead a highly-talented core group of big data engineers and will require a good mix of hands-on technology and leadership skills. This candidate must also possess excellent communication skills and empathy in order to connect with people on the team while helping to cultivate an inclusive team culture.
* Direct the continued design, build, and operations of our Big Data Platforms and Solutions.
* Build and lead a robust team of big data engineers and developers spanning various technologies including but not limited to: relational database, NoSQL DBs, Spark, Hadoop (Cloudera distro), Batch and Real-time technologies.
* Collaborate with the business units to understand business problems/value, document requirements, and resolve conflicts, escalations, or ambiguities.
* Lead efforts to scope and oversee design and delivery of Big Data solutions and projects in support of business objectives.
* Collaborate with counterparts in the lines of business to drive adoption and alignment of Big Data technologies.
* Lead development of the Big Data Technologies Roadmap.
* Maintain, monitor and report on performance of production systems (Kafka, Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra) and advise on any necessary infrastructure changes.
* Stay up-to-date on industry trends in Big Data technologies helping to keep HMS cutting-edge
* Performs other functions as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Possess a good mix of technical and business understanding.
* Ability to operate as a trusted advisor.
* Must be able to work in teams and collaborate with others to clarify requirements.
* Must have strong co-ordination and project management skills to handle complex projects.
* Have excellent oral and written communication skills..
Work Conditions and Physical Demands:
* Primarily sedentary work in a general office environment
* Ability to communicate and exchange information
* Ability to comprehend and interpret documents and data
* Requires occasional standing, walking, lifting, and moving objects (up to 10 lbs.)
* Requires manual dexterity to use computer, telephone and peripherals
* May be required to work extended hours for special business needs
* May be required to travel at least 10% of time based on business needs
* BS or MS degree in computer science or software engineering
Minimum Related Work Experience:
* 3 years' experience delivering big data projects and managing teams of engineers.
* 3 years' of hands-on experience with distributed computing systems.
* 5 years' experience as a Java programmer.
* 3 years' experience as a Python/Scala programmer.
* 2 years' of hands-on experience with Spark.
* 2 years' of hands-on experience with integration of data from multiple data sources and big data integration tools.
* 2 years' of hands-on experience with NoSQL databases, such as HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB.
* 2 years' experience with various messaging systems, such as Kafka or RabbitMQ.
* 1-2 years' of experience with other Big Data tools for data preparation and integration and architecture with application to streaming data systems is a plus.
* Good understanding of Lambda Architecture, able to discuss pros and cons.
* Knowledge of various ETL techniques and frameworks, such as Flume.
* Experience working with healthcare data a strong plus.
* Able to design efficient and robust ETL workflows.
* Able to work with cloud computing environments (AWS, Azure).
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
EOE including disability/veteran