Purpose of JobWe are seeking a talented DevOps Engineer - Lead Level for our Plano, TX facility.
DevOps Engineers are engaged in all phases of the software development lifecycle which include; gathering and analyzing user/business system requirements, responding to outages and creating application system models. DevOps Engineers primary functions are to design, develop, document, test and debug new and existing software systems and/or applications for internal use, perform defect corrections (analysis, design, code). In addition, DevOps Engineers participate in design meetings and consult with business clients to refine, test, and debug programs to meet business needs. This role is occupied by those who display expertise within their respective areas of specialization that enable them to lead and influence technical direction with an appropriate awareness of decisions and resulting impacts on business and technical objectives. Incumbents effectively evaluate and analyze situations or problems and are expected to exercise judgment in the selection of methodologies, techniques, and evaluation criteria for achieving objectives and results. In addition; Incumbents have productive and solid working relationships with internal and third-party team members and, on behalf of management, delegate technical work packages.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level. In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA IT
Our most important qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 12 million members who rely on us every day.
We are over 5,000 employees strong, a passionately supportive and collaborative team built on agile principles. We've been a top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine.
See what it's like to work for a company where your passion meets our purpose:
USAA Information Technology: A Realistic Preview
* Leads and influences technical direction for large scale, highly complex technical initiatives and/or projects requiring integration of cross-functional systems.
* Provides technical guidance in evaluating applications systems or evaluating requests for proposals.
* Collaborates with the business to prioritize key business/technical initiatives.
* Utilizes expert knowledge of the customers business to recommend solutions, and ensures business and technology objectives are met and maintained.
* Understands user and process requirements and ensures those requirements can be achieved through high quality deliverables.
* Creates system documentation/play book(s) and serves as a lead technical reviewer and contributor in requirements, design and code reviews.
* Typically serves as a resource to the business and/or as a technical resource to crossfunctional third party and internal team members on highly complex design/code reviews.
* May troubleshoot complex problems and recommend solutions or practices relative to root cause analyses and identification of solutions for improving system performance and availability.
* On behalf of the manager; manages the consistent delegation of work packages to crossfunctional and third party team members for execution through the full development life cycle.
* Appropriately advises management of issues.
* Assists team leads and management with delegation of technical work packages to crossfunctional and third party team members for execution through the full development life cycle.
* Keeps management appropriately informed of progress and issues.
* Performs design and analysis, coding and unit/integration testing of highly complex system functionality and/or defect correction across multiple platforms.
* Displays advanced knowledge and understanding of functional and technical domains of specific products and appropriately evaluates the impact of changes or additions.
* Develops accurate estimates on work packages.
* Analyzes and designs specifications for less experienced internal and third party team members to execute.
* Actively mentors and contributes to the technical and softskills development of internal and third party teams.
* Actively participates in crossdepartmental staffing and/or technical decisions.
* Typically anticipates opportunities and proactively and consistently champions innovative solutions crossfunctionally and across the Enterprise.
* Bachelor's degree or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
* And, 8 or more years of software development experience demonstrating depth of technical and functional understanding within specific I/T discipline(s)/technology(s) i.e. Business Intelligence, Mobile, Web, Java, etc.
* Experience leading software development teams (internal and/or third party) is required.
* Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level.*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
* Experience in Cloud Development (public or private).
* Experience with container frameworks, such as Kubernetes or Docker.
* Experience developing in Java/Kafka.
* Experience with Orchestration Tools
* Experience with Pipeline as Code Development/Management, such as Jenkins.
* Experience with Code Quality Management
* Experience with Test Data Management
USAA Software Developers transform analytics to impact our members' experiences. Collectively, we are:
* Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools
* Ability to code and script
* Experience with systems and IT operations
* Comfort with frequent, incremental code testing and deployment
* Strong grasp of automation tools
* Data management skills
* A strong focus on business outcomes
* Comfort with collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders
USAA's most valuable resource is our 33,000 employees. We promote a culture of diversity and inclusion, encouraging varied perspectives and ideas.
Our team enjoys world-class benefits, pay and highly competitive reward opportunities, including comprehensive healthcare, wellness and wealth building programs, employee resource groups, 401K matching dollar-for-dollar up to 8% of pay, career planning, continuing education, and parental leave. We promote a strong work-life balance with a variety of on-site services and conveniences depending on location, including a daycare, health center and pharmacy, multiple dining options, company stores, covered parking and free fitness centers. USAA is a casual dress environment.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager's approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidatesto apply to the opening is 02/26/19 by 11:59 pm CST time.