Job Title: Developer - PHP
Area: Communications - Web
Reports to: Development Lead
Rotary unites people from all continents and cultures who take action to deliver real, long-term solutions to pressing issues facing our communities. Each year, Rotary members invest more than $200 million and 16 million volunteer hours to improve lives and create positive change in the world. In exchange for hard work and dedication in support of Rotary's clubs and humanitarian initiatives, our employees receive competitive salaries, flexible schedules, comprehensive benefits, and job enrichment. To learn more, visit http://www.rotary.org.
Rotary's Commitment to Diversity
As a global network that strives to build a world where people unite and take action to create lasting change, Rotary values diversity and celebrates the contributions of people of all backgrounds, regardless of their age, ethnicity, race, color, abilities, religion, socioeconomic status, culture, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
PHP Web Developers work closely with cross-discipline team and are expected to be able to contribute to engineering discussions. Developers will be expected to collaborate well with the rest of the team as the work could be picked up by a colleague at any point in time. They will also be expected to determine the scope of a task and be able to provide solutions that operate within that scope.
You Will Have
* BA/BS in computer science or equivalent experience.
* 3 + years working in HTML and CSS.
* 3 + years developing with PHP5.
You Are Good At
* Strong HTML5 and CSS3 skills.
* Mastery of PHP development.
* Familiarity with CMSs such as Drupal
* Experience developing for object oriented web application frameworks such as Symfony2, Laravel, Django, or Ruby on Rails.
You Will Be Responsible For
* Your key responsibility is to maintain and develop new functionality across the suite of Rotary websites (eg. Rotary.org, My Rotary, Convention microsite) while adhering to the documented architecture and team coding standards and software engineering best practices.
Upholding best practices and standards
* Some of those best practices include documenting all changes to the code.
* Testing code per the Web test matrix.
* Providing feedback and proposing solutions to structural issues in the codebase/architecture as they arise.
Supporting strong team dynamics
* You will work collaboratively with other developers to share best practices and provide peer review of code. This also includes suggesting improvements to our current platforms and procedures.
* Beyond the development team, it's just as important to develop and maintain strong working relationships with key internal clients to facilitate a productive, supportive environment in a very relationship-based culture.
Maintaining a working knowledge of key procedures and tools
* Maintaining the relevant codebases using Git.
* Build process for back-end code
* Have extensive knowledge of PHP and SQL relational databases.
Why work for Rotary?
* Generous medical, dental, and vision benefits package
* Progressive 401k matching contributions
* Above market and generous paid time off package
* Tuition reimbursement
* Professional development opportunities
* On-site cafeteria and coffee bar with special pricing for Rotary employees
* Flextime-several different work schedules to choose from
* Close to CTA, Metra, a variety of stores, and many food options