Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM is an iconic, technology company with a 100+ year history of innovative thinking. You are a creative thinker that wants to help shape the next 100 years of our growth. IBM's New York City Developer Advocacy Team is hiring developers that are passionate about technology and have a keen eye for business trends. We are looking for experienced developer advocates/evangelists with expertise in one or more of the following core technical competencies: Containers/Docker/Kubernetes, AI/ML, blockchain/cryptocurrency, Serverless, Hybrid Cloud.
Developer Advocates are translators, decoding the most difficult technical concepts and creating useful content, educational material, and demonstration applications using IBM's technology. They are skilled in the art of facilitating serendipity - helping developers become the heroes of their organizations. They maintain knowledge of industry trends, and relentlessly renew and extend their technical domain expertise.
As a Developer Advocate, you strive to be a key member of your local tech community. Along these lines, you will represent IBM at events, workshops, meetups, and conferences. You will build relationships with individuals, companies, and organizations that serve the same communities as IBM. You should be able to gaze into the crystal ball of technology, discern the future, and proactively pursue it.
You have a deeply rooted mission and responsibility to serve the developer community and are committed to helping any given developer or customer to be successful at what they are trying to accomplish and genuinely care about developer success. As a Developer Advocate, you are committed to providing engineering guidance based on your experiences across developer communities, and when necessary, facilitate customer interactions with the relevant parts of IBM.
What you'll do:
* Present technology with enthusiasm and authenticity to developers, developer managers, and senior management.
* Commit/review/fix code for open source projects, which includes working on your passion projects too.
* Be a community leader.
* Attend/organize/host local meetups/user groups, connect with developers and understand how we can best serve them and make them successful.
* Submit papers to speak at relevant technical conferences.
* Improve how IBM engages with the developer community.
* Develop first-class developer scenarios and demo apps, collateral, and training material on top of the IBM platform to demonstrate value and build excitement.
* Encourage participation of the developer community in programs to increase primary tools and platform adoption in the community.
* Extend the reach in the developer community by partnering with developer and community influencers.
* Be a thought leader in the market and the voice of our users inside the IBM developer organization.
* Create new market opportunities/identify innovative solutions to expand developer engagements.
* Work closely with and across functional groups including Product Management, Design, Engineering, and Marketing to ensure clear lines of communication are maintained, and program delivery is smooth and effective.
* Ensure external dependencies are managed and internal needs are met.
* Schedule and lead sprint meetings and various other team meetings as needed.
* Track and report critical metrics on sprint/project progress, track and drive resolution of issues.
* Work with your peers across the organization to coordinate related or dependent release activities.
* Ensure that your team has what they need to be successful.
Who you are:
* In essence, you are a unicorn - a unique and mythical hybrid that is part brilliant developer, masterful communicator, and intuitive marketer.
* You are a community leader and organizer and understand the vital work that is involved in ecosystem management. Developers are one of the most valuable constituencies in our business today; as such, our developer ecosystem can make or break our overall success.
* You geek out over building apps, finding solutions to hard problems, interacting with other developers and derive intrinsic satisfaction from helping others learn by doing.
* You can converse with a broad range of developer technologies and communities (Swift, Java, Node.js, Python, PHP, iOS/Android, OpenStack, Blockchain, to name a few) while having deep subject matter expertise in a specific area.
* You also can speak the language of business and understand how these technologies align with an organization's financial bottom line.
* You have passion, curiosity, technical depth, and exceptional communication and presentation skills.
* You are maintaining a robust social media presence and engaged following. You interact with your audience through thoughtfully curated blogs and other original content.
* You are an active contributor to online developer community groups.
* You have your finger on the pulse of the developer community and understand where it fits within the greater technology ecosystem.
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
* Bachelors' degree in a technical or business field or equivalent experience
* 5+ years of engineering or software developer experience
* Arranging Meetups, Hackathons, Developer Challenges, and significant community events.
* Demonstrated experience of advocacy for a technology, brand or cause
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
* Master's Degree in Software Engineering or equivalent experience
* Scrum Master certification or equivalent experience
* Recognized in the industry as a technology leader with public speaking experience
* Experience in engaging with senior leadership internally and externally
About Business Unit
Your Life @ IBM
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education: Master's Degree Commissionable: No
Key Job Details
* State:NEW YORK
* City:NEW YORK
* Category:Software Development & Support
* Required Education:Bachelor's Degree
* Position Type:Professional
* Employment Type:Full-Time
* Contract Type:Regular
* Req ID:218910BR
* Location:NEW YORK, NY US