At Zonar our data is our competitive advantage. As a Database Administrator on the Data Infrastructure team, you will be part of the team whose mission is to ensure the availability and performance of our data services and databases and the integrity of our core customer data while building new services that enable us to rapidly grow and enrich that data set.
We are looking for a Database Administrator who has experience running and maintaining SQL and NoSQL databases and services around those databases in public cloud infrastructure. The ideal candidate will have a mix of database and software engineering experience that helps them diagnose and resolve operational issues that can span from the database to stored procedures and/or client services. They will have experience working closely with teams building APIs and data service that use an Agile development process. They will have had exposure to container technologies like Docker and container management framework like Kubernetes.
This role requires a highly motivated individual who is comfortable working with a skilled, rapidly evolving technical environment. The ideal candidate possesses strong problem-solving skills, diplomatic communication experience, a breadth of industry good practices knowledge, and a strong desire to contribute to Zonar's continued success.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
* Ensure high availability of the database platform and surrounding services
* Troubleshoot performance or functional issues
* Participate and recommend best practices in database release processes
* Create deployment, monitoring and automation scripts to assist team
* Troubleshoot and resolve production database issues
* Evaluate and fix/deprecate stored procedures
* Migrate on premise data workloads to cloud
* Deliver new features that help deliver data to other teams and external customers
* Implement critical operational analytics to quantify and detect degradation in data quality
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO THE TEAM
* Bachelor's degree in computer science or related IT field preferred, or equivalent work experience
* 4+ years' experience designing/administering PostgreSQL databases
* 2+ years implementing applications that use and/or operating Cassandra
* 2+ years deploying and operating databases on VMWare and in public cloud IaaS, e.g. Amazon AWS or Google GCP
* 2+ years using IaaS based cloud services, e.g. database, queue, object storage, to rapidly deliver custom services and solutions
* 4+ years doing server-side software development in one or more of: Python, Java, Go
* Proactive team player mentality - able to collaborate and communicate effectively
* Experience with Agile software development practices
* Exposure to common open source technologies and tools
* Experience with building infrastructure as code using tools such as Ansible, Terraform, Python, Bash
* Bring a "Cloud first" approach to developing solutions
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to set goals, and achieve scheduled deadlines
* Ability to work positively with internal and external customers and as part of a team
* Hands-on, energetic and motivated self-starter
* Attention to detail and a passion for meeting commitments
* Alignment with our mission, vision, values and operating principles.
* Ability to participate in on-call rotation
Founded in 2001, Zonar has pioneered smart fleet management technology by providing innovative technology that has changed fleet operations in the vocational, pupil and commercial trucking industries. With a unique focus on this field, the Company offers a complete suite of solutions and specialized platforms for our customers in multiple markets. Our patented, award-winning technology keeps fleet owners and managers connected to their fleets and drivers to dispatchers. Zonar has a proven history of continuous innovation on behalf of our customers, providing products that efficiently and easily track commercial fleets and assets, streamline reporting and significantly increasing safety while saving cost. Leveraging a portfolio of 150+ patents, we are building upon these data and related analytics services to create the next generation of software and services for the 15M target customers in the US alone.
Headquartered in Seattle and majority-owned by technology company Continental, Zonar also has a Technology Development Center in downtown Seattle, a regional office in Cincinnati, and a distribution center outside of Atlanta. Our culture is based on ingenuity, leadership, teamwork, excellence, passion, integrity, and fun! Our company has grown to over 350 employees who are goal-oriented and fast-paced, but understand the importance of having a healthy work life balance. This is an excellent opportunity to work for a fast-paced, growing, innovative company, make a big impact on a rapidly evolving space, and have fun along the way!