* What We're Looking For
Engineering at 2U is fast paced, innovative and full of people passionate about delivering on the promise of higher education via technology. We're growing rapidly and are seeking collaborative and results-driven individuals to join us. In return, we can offer you a fun learning environment where your skills, experience and creativity will make a material impact on the company's success and its overall mission. Your tenure at 2U will be a highlight of your career.
We strive for our teams to be cross-functional, self-organizing and autonomous. You'll be working directly with product managers and business analysts in a highly collaborative manner.
About The Role
We are looking for a collaborative and results-driven data engineer with experience in system management and monitoring within AWS infrastructure, automated testing and continuous deployment. Agile techniques like test driven development (TDD) is a plus.
Above all, you care about delivering quality software in a sustainable and timely manner and about software craftsmanship. You have experience in, and passion for, high-quality, maintainable code that confers low operating costs, high change velocity and is a point of professional pride for you and the team.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
You are a competent data engineer and a technical leader with the following competencies:
* Strong database background:
* Data Warehouse architecture and data modeling
* Monitoring, administration and performance tuning of the database servers
* Design and implementation of ETL data flows
* Data governance and security
* Writing maintainable high-performance code
* Refactoring to keep code maintainable
* Conducting exploratory and automated testing
* Job scheduling and monitoring
* Debugging complex problems under time constraints
* Lead technical design of applications and participate in larger system design efforts
* Providing technical guidance and mentoring more junior team-members
* Stay current with the industry trends and best practices
You have experience in:
* Collaborating with the stakeholders (product managers, business analysts, and data science teams) to define and refine requirements
* Planning and estimating development tasks and short-term projects
* Relating your project deliverables to products you are building and strategy behind them
* Advocating for end user needs in software you are building
Over time, we expect engineers in this role to grow by learning and practicing the following skills:
* Participating in application and system level technical design
* Conducting technical interviews
* Participating in planning staffing needs on your team
* Metrics driven software development
This role reports to Director of Engineering for Data Systems team.
About The Team
The Data Systems team maintains and develops a reliable, well-supported, and frequently updated data lake comprising raw and processed data from 2U's platforms. We provide a curated set of standardized and consolidated data from all of 2U's programs, as well as financial data that can be used by the business to build mission critical reporting services. We also strive to provide generic facilities for product engineering teams to move data between systems. All our hardware infrastructure is in deployed on the Amazon Web Services cloud and we make extensive use of SAAS services like Salesforce, Segment, Streamsets and others.
We are motivated to build a team where members bring sound computer science fundamentals and a diverse set of skills and experiences to the table. We looking for experience and expertise in the following technologies:
* T-SQL using Postgres and MS SQL
* Python and Shell Scripting
* AWS: Aurora, Redshift, Kinesis, CloudWatch
* Big Data applications (Spark SQL, Apache Drill, AWS Athena) and Data Visualization tools (e.g. Tableau) are a plus
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
We believe there should be no back row in higher education. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been improving lives by powering the world's best digital education. As a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities, we build, deliver, and support online graduate programs and certificates for working adults. Our industry-leading short courses, offered by GetSmarter®, are designed to equip lifelong learners with in-demand career skills. To learn more about 2U and No Back Row®, visit 2U.com.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It's Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that's both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
* Medical, dental, and vision coverage
* Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
* Unlimited snacks and drinks
* Tuition reimbursement program
* Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO for your vacation, personal, or sick days
* Additional time off benefits include:
* time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
* parental leave after 9 months of employment
* holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans' status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U's equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.