The customer is in the process of digitizing paper textual records. Once digitized, these records will be transferred into a modernized electronic records archive system in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud. The tasking will require data analysts to review a wide variety of digital records and formats, analyze and update their metadata specifications, transform legacy metadata descriptions, and prepare the records for ingest.
The Data Scientist Principal supports the migration and transformation of digitized textual and legacy records to the modernized environment. Legacy data will be transformed from XML and SQL databases to a digital object repository that uses Amazon S3 to store digital objects and JSON files to capture descriptive metadata. The Data Scientist Principal works in conjunction with customer staff to evolve, document, and manage data definitions, data models, XML schema, data transformation packages, data interface specifications, data transformation processes, and data standards.
* Migrate data between source and target information systems.
* Transform data from traditional relational and XML database formats to JSON structures.
* Update logical and physical data models, and data dictionaries.
* Map data elements between source and target information systems.
* Reconcile semantic differences between data elements in source and target information systems.
* Develop scripts, and utilize tools and utilities to automate data conversion and data transformation tasks.
* Verify information assurance controls within data repositories.
* Work with NARA program and operations DBAs to review and validate the conversion of legacy data stores.
Education and Experience:
* Bachelors of Science, Information Systems Management or related discipline and ten (10) years or more experience; Masters and eight (8) years or more experience.
* Five (5) years' experience focusing on data analysis and data modeling.
* Two (2) years' experience working from the enterprise perspective in large organizations or on large system development efforts.
* Should have demonstrable proficiency using formalized modeling techniques such as UML and E-R-D, and hands-on experience using scripting tools and utilities to perform ETL functions.
* Must have 4 years or more experience working with each of the following: SQL, XML schemas and technologies, JSON, and large digital object repositories.
* Candidate must be able to obtain an MBI clearance
* Experience with Open Archival Information System (OAIS), Reference Model and the Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard (METS), and PREMIS specifications is desirable.
* Experience with MarkLogic and Oracle Database technologies
* Experience with AWS S3, Postgres, and Elasticsearch
* Excellent oral and written communication skills are imperative.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability