McLean 2 (19052), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Data Scientist, Computer Vision
Are you passionate about image processing, computer vision and helping people improve the way they navigate the financial world? Do you enjoy solving hard problems and working with like-minded colleagues? Do you view enormous amounts of data as an opportunity? Then Capital One is just the right place for you!
At Capital One, data is at the center of everything we do. When we launched as a startup we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
The Card ML team is working to transform every corner of our business with machine learning. To accomplish this goal, we use the latest techniques in machine learning - deep learning, natural language processing, image processing, and computer vision - and marry them with real-time streaming data in the cloud, to create best-in-class enterprise-scale ML products. We tackle a huge variety of business problems and work with vast quantities of data of every kind.
Capital One is searching for Computer Vision Scientists to work on a wide variety of research problems and applied projects in the areas of image and video analysis. You'll be joining a research group that's part of driving the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in distributed computing technologies and operating across billions and billions of customer transactions to unlock the big opportunities that help everyday people save money, save time and eliminate problems in their financial lives. You will work with cutting edge tools, such as Tensorflow, GPUs, and Kubernetes, using and contributing to state of the art methods, such as auto-encoders, deep networks, and classifiers. We do machine learning research and product development differently at Capital One. ML scientists aren't siloed in the lab, but instead partner closely with Software Engineers, Product Managers, and business stakeholders, to discover, invent, and build at the largest scale. Ideas may come from internal projects as well as from academic partnerships with world-class institutions. Computer Vision Scientists work on building state of the art vision and image processing capabilities in complex environments, building models and deriving insights from customer interactions and billions of existing images, and enabling products that help customers complete tasks. In this role, you will apply your expertise in image processing, analytics, and computer vision, to inform a research group's agenda and drive critical business outcomes. You stay connected to the wider research community as an active contributor.
The Ideal Candidate will be:
* Technical. You are independent and can develop your own algorithms and experiments. You have hands-on experience developing computer vision solutions, from concept to production, and selecting the right tool for the job at hand. You understand modern cloud computing. Lots of data does not frighten you, it presents a challenge you are eager to take on. You know R, Scala, and/or Python.
* Innovative. You continually research and evaluate emerging technologies. You stay current on published state-of-the-art ML methods, technologies, and applications. You ask why, explore and openly share your disruptive ideas.
* Business-Minded. You can analyze customer needs and drive towards impactful business outcomes.
* Leader. You challenge conventional thinking and traditional ways of operating and you work with stakeholders to identify and improve the status quo.
* Master's Degree plus 2 years of experience in machine learning, or PhD
* At least 2 years' coding experience with open source programming languages (R, Python, or Scala)
* At least 2 years' experience in image processing or computer vision
* PhD in a STEM discipline
* 2+ years' experience working with cloud platforms like AWS or Azure
* 3+ years' experience developing solutions in Python, Scala, or R
* Top-tier peer-reviewed publications on computer vision research
* 2+ years' experience developing solutions that leverage one or more of the following: machine learning, deep learning, video analysis, image analysis, operations research, or time-series analysis.
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.