Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
Data Scientist (2 opportunities) - School of Foreign Service (SFS)
The School of Foreign (SFS) was founded in 1919 as a direct response to the involvement of the United States in the First World War. The establishment of a program at Georgetown dedicated to educating students on global issues and preparing them for lives of service in the international arena reflected both the University's Jesuit heritage, with its emphasis on intercultural understanding, and its origins as an institution of the American Enlightenment, dedicated to the rights of man and the education of citizens.
The Center for Security and Emerging Technology (CSET) is focused on studying the security impacts of emerging technologies, supporting academic work in security and technology studies, and delivering nonpartisan analysis to technologists and policymakers. Initial focus will be on artificial intelligence and advanced computing.
The Data Scientist, reporting to the Center's Director of Data Science and Research, has duties that include but are not limited to:
* Identifies bibliometric and full text data sources.
* Collaborates with Research Fellows and other Center staff to identify new data requirements to support Center research and policy guidance deliverables and facilitate data driven analysis.
* Ingests (ETL) these structured and unstructured data sets into an AWS or other PaaS online infrastructure.
* Devises and executes novel parsing and other data processing techniques on large data sets using Python, R, or other data analysis languages.
* Develops accessible visualizations and data findings for dissemination to a broad audience of social science researchers and policy-makers.
* Bachelor's degree in a quantitative field like economics, mathematics, computer science, or engineering, or related area of study
* 6+ years of quantitative or statistical analysis experience - building analytic intuition, solving problems using data, and providing practical insight using data
* 5+ years of experience with SQL
* 5+ years of experience with Python and/or R (or equivalent languages)
* Ability to process and analyze data sets, and interpret them to make decisions
* Ability to manage a project delivery scope, schedule, and cost
* Ability to excel in a highly collaborative team environment
* Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, demonstrated through the development of publications and delivery of presentations
* Experience with advanced approaches to statistics and data-driven model development; and
* Motivated, enthusiastic and self-driven.
* Graduate degree in a quantitative field like economics, mathematics, computer science, engineering, or related area of study
* 8+ years of quantitative or statistical analysis experience
* 8+ years of experience with SQL
* Experience working with data in multiple human languages
* Reading fluency in languages other than English
Application requires both a cover letter and a resume. We request that the cover letter address the following question:
Why are you applying to this position?
* In particular, why are you interested in supporting emerging technology policy analysis with your data science skills?
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.