The Department of State, Bureau of Information Resource Management (IRM) Telecommunications, Wireless, and Data (TWD) Division provides its users with mission critical domestic LAN/WAN data services across multiple locations in the DC Metro Area and remote locations. In support of these services, the Senior Data Network Engineer provides data engineering support, with a particular focus on project engineering initiatives.
The Senior Data Network Engineer supports the Department of State (DoS) Vanguard Program, Service Management Office (SMO) which is responsible for administering, deploying and maintaining Cisco and products, as well as a working knowledge of encryption solutions, knowledge of local and wide-area networks in a Voice/Data converged infrastructure. This hands-on position includes engineering support for service interruptions, planned equipment installations, and infrastructure support.
This position can also include planning, designing, installing, configuring, maintaining, deploying supporting and optimizing all network hardware and software. The Senior Data Network Engineer reports directly to the TWD Voice/Data Engineering Manager, while coordinating with TWD Project Management Office (PMO) project managers, and the PMO Director.
Description of Duties:
* Promptly respond to engineering support requests from the Special Projects Engineering Manager, PMO project managers, and/or PMO Director.
* Demonstrate an ability to support and/or serve as the lead engineer on multiple, concurrent engineering projects.
* Supports change and configuration management for all voice and data assets.
* Troubleshoot, respond, and resolve escalated incidents/service requests and/or planned/unplanned outages.
* Conduct Route Cause Analysis (RCA) and After-action Review (AAR) following unplanned outages.
* Supports Move, Add, and Change requests for the data network to include day-to-day requests/orders and Projects.
* Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware and/or other network problems, and replace defective components associated with both data and voice infrastructures.
* Interfaces with other IRM Support Teams on system/network infrastructure problems and advises management on technical improvements and/or solutions to identified problems and/or gaps.
* Identifies and recommends solutions, products and services to support the enterprise initiatives, business goals and/or technical needs.
* Researches, evaluates and stays current on emerging tools, techniques and technologies.
* Contributes to systems infrastructure plans based on an understanding of the customer's organizational direction, technical context and State Department enterprise needs.
* Contributes to the creation of new policies and procedures for Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and follows established SOPs and process guides.
The ideal candidate will have a strong sense of commitment to perform engineering support functions as scheduled, providing timely responses to required system support after normal business hours and on weekends.
Additionally, the candidate should have an eye for detail, ability to multi-task, organize priorities, and work in a systematic style following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and guides.
Bachelors and 4+ years of experience
Strong LAN/WAN/MAN with design and migration experience in a converged environment with a focus on WAN services (ISDN, Frame-Relay, Point-to-Point, DMVPN, METRO ETHERNET, VPLS, TLS, and MPLS).
* Works extensively with Cisco Layer 2 and Layer 3 solutions and products.
* Cisco CCNA Certification a minimum.
* Familiarity and working knowledge of telecommunication circuit types (e.g., P2P T1/T3, TDM, IP Ethernet)
* Understand and have the ability to implement Cisco router, switch, and ASA products.
* Skills troubleshooting access-lists, IPv4 and IPv6 issues across varying protocols such as OSPF, BGP, EIGRP and Static Routing.
* Working knowledge and understanding of implementing various routing protocols to include OSPF, BGP, EIGRP and Static Routes.
* Strong interpersonal, written and oral skills. From time to time, candidate may be asked to present project outline to customer.
* Ability to conduct research on networking products with various vendors to accommodate changing customer requirements.
* Ability to work in a team-oriented collaborative environment while being highly motivated to take the lead on projects.
* Cisco CCNP Certification (Cisco Certified Network Professional)
* State Department experience a plus.
* Avaya/Cisco Voice
Interim Secret clearance able to obtain Top Secret
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation's most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability