Interested in Amazon Alexa? We are developing the speech and language solutions behind Amazon Alexa, Amazon Echo and other Amazon products and services. We're working hard, having fun, and making history!
The Alexa Applied Modeling and Data Science team is looking for a creative Business Intelligence Engineer (BIE). As a BIE you will be responsible for helping us scale the business to expand to new languages and territories. You will work with product owners to find solutions to customer pain points, and generate unique insights backed by data and coupled with actionable conclusions. You will invent metrics, data schemas, and standards for Alexa's critical-path data solutions.
As a BIE leader for the language expansion team, we look to you to build an analytics suite that will provide a detailed view into our natural language understanding (NLU) engines, developing predictive analytics models to forecast requirements for new languages and features. You will lead design, implementation, and successful delivery of large-scale, critical, or difficult data solutions involving a significant amount of work. You will share in the ownership of the technical vision and direction for advanced analytics and insight products. You will be a part of a team of top technical professionals developing complex systems at scale and with a focus on sustained operational excellence
This position will support multiple data sourcing products and programs, including the publicly available Alexa skill, Cleo, which gives Amazon customers from around the world an opportunity to teach Alexa their language and dialect. https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Cleo/dp/B01N5QDE0Y
The BIE must have a passion for data, efficiency, and accuracy. Specifically, they will:
* Build and optimize ETLs and their underlying SQL queries to efficiently, accurately, and with low-latency, load data to our product suite for use by customers.
* Influence big data solutions/access to data set(s) in team architecture and will be solely responsible for the efficient, secure, and performant queries underlying our analytics suite. As such, attention to detail, data integrity, and strong analytical skills (i.e., understanding business implications of what the data says) are required.
* Have knowledge of engineering and operational excellence best practices. Can make enhancements that improve data processes (e.g., data auditing solutions, management of manually maintained tables, automating, ad-hoc or manual operation steps).
* Understand how to make appropriate data trade-offs. Can balance customer requirements with technology requirements. Knows when to re-use code. Is judicious about introducing dependencies.
* Deliver pragmatic solutions. You do things with the proper level of complexity the first time (or at least minimize incidental complexity).
* Understand how to be efficient with resource usage (e.g., system hardware, data storage, query optimization, AWS infrastructure etc.)
* Write code that a Data Engineer or Software Development Engineer unfamiliar with the system can understand.
* Communicate proposals and results to a wide audience in a clear, data-driven manner
* Provide day-to-day expert support for the Cleo team
* Provide key support for on-going and new data collection efforts
* Thrive in an agile, iterative environment where collaboration with Product Managers, Data Engineers, and Software Development Engineers is crucial for delivering the right information to our customers.
* Have demonstrated success in an environment which offers ambiguously defined problems, big challenges, and quick changes.
Amazon is an electronic commerce and cloud computing company.