Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
Internal Job Title: Senior Associate Director of Product Development
External Job Title: Business Intelligence Developer
The Senior Associate Director of Product Development (Sr. AD) will lead be the backbone of Uncommon's innovation efforts to ensure that Uncommon's Home Office, Regions and Schools have the technology solutions required to accomplish the organization's strategic goals. The Sr. AD will develop a deep understanding of needs across all levels of the organization and implement new technology and data solutions to Uncommon's most pressing problems. The Sr. AD of Product Development will report to the Director of Product Development.
We are looking for a candidate with 5+ years of IT experience and 3+ years of experience in the Business Intelligence field and expertise in data driven dashboard/analytics design, development and implementation. The individual will work closely with other team members, outsourced senior application developers, and owners of the data sources. The Sr. AD will be responsible for providing access to the data via reports, data extracts, and analysis tools, the development of ETL components and for coding stored procedures. To be successful, the role will require the individual to understand the K-12 data landscape (e.g. assessments, SIS, standards), and to have the ability to gather reporting requirements, design reports and release them into production.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Product Management and Development:
* Partner with instructional, operational, regional and HO teams to develop reports and address data needs to provide reporting solutions
* Synthesize and translate instructional and business data needs into creative visualizations and tools
* Develop, maintain and manage advanced reporting, analytics, dashboards and other BI solutions primarily in, but not limited to, Tableau, which includes other reporting tools like PowerBI, etc
* Align/standardize team members on best practices around BI implementations (especially using Tableau server)
* Perform and document data analysis, data validation, data mapping/design, by accessing multiple sources, specifically data residing in source systems
* Standardize data collection by developing methods for database design and validation reports
* Provide application analysis and data modeling design to collect data for centralized data warehouse
* Extract data from databases and data warehouses for reporting and to facilitate sharing between multiple data systems
Approach to Work
* Exceptional strategic, analytical and critical thinking skills
* Strong attention to detail
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Strong end-user orientation; deep concern and empathy for users and internal stakeholders
* Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and take initiative
* Excellent organization, time management, and tenacious follow-up skills; ability to prioritize and demonstrate an appropriate sense of urgency
* Demonstrated ability to establish credibility with internal/external developers and vendors
* Thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements
* Demonstrated ability to learn new tools, systems and processes quickly
* Strong work ethic and commitment to high standards of excellence coupled with an enthusiastic approach to one's work.
Technical Skills Required:
* Bachelor's Degree in a quantitative discipline with 5+ years of work experience technical field
* Minimum 3+ years of experience with Business Intelligence (Tableau strongly preferred)
* Understanding of SQL, relational databases & normalization
* High level competency in Excel (macros, pivot tables, etc.)
* Expertise in developing, maintaining and managing dashboards & underlying analytics, preferably with working knowledge of Tableau server administration/architecture
* Proficient in the use of query and reporting analysis tools.
* Storyteller capable of delivering creative design and interactive data visualizations.
* Understanding of data warehouse concepts along with knowledge of SQL to write complex, optimized queries across volumes of data.
* Product Management and Production Control experience
* Mentor/Train junior developers and Power Business users (note: this position has no direct management responsibilities)
* Experience with creation and maintenance of documents, knowledge/support articles for varying level of user groups
Technical Skills Preferred:
* Hands-on experience of RDBMS systems, specifically ORACLE
* Exposure to R development a big plus
* Working knowledge of multiple scripting/programming languages
* Experience with stored procedures and views in MS SQL or ORACLE database a plus
* Experience working with insourced and outsourced development teams adhering to the same coding standards and style guides
* Experience designing, implementing and leading training for a range of audiences (technical, power user, and end user)
* Preference will be given to candidates with:
* End-to-End Tableau development experience from Tableau data model publication, interactive dashboard design/development to deployment/maintenance. Hands-on skills with use of action filters, user filters, calculations and Level-of-Detail (LOD) expressions
* Experience tuning the performance of Tableau Server dashboards to minimize the data and rendering refresh cycles and optimize the end user experience
* Tableau certification
Minimum educational level
* Bachelor's degree required
* 5+ years of IT or Data experience and
* 3+ years of experience in the Business Intelligence field and expertise in data driven dashboard/analytics design, development and implementation.
* Previous experience in K-12 public education strongly preferred.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.