Alterra Mountain Company is a community of iconic year-round destinations, including the world's largest heli-ski operation. The company owns and operates a range of recreation, hospitality, real-estate development, food and beverage and retail businesses. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado with destinations across the continent, we are rooted in the spirit of the mountains and united by a passion for outdoor adventure. Alterra Mountain Company's family of diverse playgrounds spans five U.S. states and three Canadian provinces: Steamboat and Winter Park Resort in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec, Blue Mountain in Ontario; Deer Valley and Solitude in Utah; Crystal Mountain in Washington; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia. We honor each destination's unique character and authenticity and celebrate the legendary adventures and enduring memories they bring to everyone.
The Business Intelligence Developer of Alterra's data program will work closely with the Senior Manager of Business Intelligence and the Alterra data team to develop enterprise reporting, underlying data structures and processes, and ad-hoc analysis. This role will contribute directly to the technical design, data transformation and organization, report development, and overall evolution of the reporting and analytics platform for Alterra Mountain Company.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
* Work with departments throughout the business to understand their reporting requirements, document them concisely and formulate plans for executing on these. * Work closely with the Senior Manager of Business Intelligence and other data team members to design and implement reporting and analytical capabilities. * Own the development pipeline of new reporting content while continually working to refine the existing inventory of reports and data assets. * Design advanced data queries - extract, validate, interpret and summarize the data. Translate this raw material into meaningful information that users can act on. * Build and support best-of-breed dashboards, KPIs and reporting solutions. * Schedule, automate, and track reporting consumption. Maintain report user access controls. * Seek creative solutions to maximize reporting output and reliability of the reporting platform itself. * Create and refine visual representation and communication of complex data. * Actively maintain the development backlog. Prioritize revisions or debugging as needed. * Work with the BI team to establish best practices and design patterns. * Utilize sound development life cycle practices. * Adhere to established processes of data team and document delivery of solutions.
Data Processing & Support
* Design, develop, optimize, and maintain the reference data processes downstream of staged data. This will primarily focus on enterprise data mart content but will also require contributions to the business logic used by Data Engineers staging data in our Unified Data Platform (UDP). * Support Alterra's Business Intelligence solutions as needed, both green field content as well as legacy, inherited tooling. * Troubleshoot any issues as needed. Perform triage on incidents while communicating actively with stakeholders. Conduct root cause analysis to prevent repeated events / outages. * Contribute to ongoing initiatives that generate trustworthy data and data governance in general. * Perform planned maintenance as required, whether software upgrades on local systems or monitoring of upgrades in hosted environments that support enterprise reporting. * Contribute to Alterra reference data, whether collecting and consolidating it from other sources or creating it from scratch in our Product Information Management (PIM) tool set. * Document work in progress and conform with the broader data team's project planning and development methodology. * Build disaster planning play book for reconstruction of reporting platform, rollback of discreet reports or database objects, user group security construction, etc. * Conduct ongoing testing of content to ensure it remains timely, accurate and trustworthy. * Contribute to the design and implementation of our Business Intelligence Competency Center (BICC).
* Foster partnerships with business users while collaborating on projects. Provide superior customer service to ensure our delivery exceeds expectations. * Support end users with online & offline training resources, technical assistance, and hands-on instruction as needed. * Ensure that adequate security procedures are developed and followed, to protect Alterra from potential data breaches. Conduct your own work with the highest standards for data security. * Work diligently to service internal auditors (Accounting), GDPR related requirements (Legal) and general security (IT Sec) with any needs they have. * Foster the enterprise-wide adoption of the tools, systems and processes that we design to support the organization's information and raw data appetite. * Achieve business goals by fostering innovation and coordinating the evaluation, deployment and management of current and future solutions.
* Conduct periodic ad-hoc analysis to support corporate goals and objectives. * Ensure high quality work - accurate, timely, transparent, repeatable (for revisions), and relevant. * Provide support across departments by identifying and executing on analytical opportunities found in our raw data. Message opportunities upward as appropriate. * Develop a logical, structured approach to work backward from business requirements or hypotheses and develop the needed data and analyses to effectuate change. * Support peers in the broader Applications & Development team as they build intelligence informing their design decisions.
Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
* Bachelor's degree required - Computer Science, Information Systems, or related and relevant degree
* 3-5 years professional experience as a dedicated developer &/ analyst, operating in a data and reporting environment. A steady path of demonstrated conceptual thinking and analytical skills. * 3-5 years developing reporting assets using one or more data visualization / reporting tools to tell stories. Preference will be given to Power BI, Tableau, Looker, or other nimble prototyping tools. We assert a "fast & light" methodology. * Very strong experience writing SQL, including stored procedures and development of persistent data structures. This is the primary language you will use. * 3+ years conducting data analysis in a multi-location, multi-lingual enterprise environment. * 2-3 years of experience with data normalization and data de-normalization, with a pragmatic understanding of the pros / cons of each. You will need to bridge these simultaneously. * 2-3 years of general exposure to data modeling and database architecture. * 1-2 years of experience with a data modeling tool such as ER Studio, or ERDs in a database. * Exceptional proficiency with Excel. We do not use this for reporting, but it is woven into the fabric of all analytics that our business partners conduct. Fluency is necessary. * Strong analytical and research skills; accurate in your work, but not paralyzed by perfection. * Experience with Python is not required but is a plus. * Basic experience with one or more enterprise ETL tools such as SSIS, Informatica, Ab Initio, Pentaho, or similar. Legacy systems are fed by these tools, and familiarity is helpful. * Strong communication skills. Ability to translate technical concepts for non-technical audiences. * Thrives in an environment that is fledgling and will pivot to capitalize on opportunities. * A doer who gets the job done. Best practices are welcome, and encouraged, as long as the task is completed on time or sooner.
Travel to Resorts and/or technology partners as needed. Travel estimated at < 5%.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
This position may be required to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
* Manual dexterity to operate a computer and other common office equipment on a constant basis. * Auditory and visual acuity to operate computers, phones, mobile devices and basic office equipment on a constant basis. * Ability to work for extended periods of time sitting, bending, reaching, and speaking on a constant basis. * Ability to work for extended periods of time standing, walking, kneeling, pushing and pulling on an occasional basis. * Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and other employees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily- reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
~ Alterra Mountain Company is an equal opportunity employer ~
Alterra is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace. All employees and candidates are reminded that Alterra Mountain Company adheres to the U.S. and Canadian labor and employment laws, and where applicable, to any State or Provincial-specific employment regulations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Let your dream job find you.
Sign up to start matching with top companies. It’s fast and free.